Why can't I do a literal translation for 火山

“火山”, “かざん”, volcano, is also said by some, (mostly just little kids and uneducated people, though) as “Fire mountain” but it can’t be entered. Why?

I wouldn’t consider fire mountain to be an actual word, and I never heard it either besides obvious comedy skits where one character doesn’t speak english

18 Likes

Yeah, not in dictionaries either. That would be why. Of course WK doesn’t have a comprehensive list of synonyms with every entry. Far from it. I just suggested they add The Pacific as a synonym for The Pacific Ocean (and they did) but that one you is actually common.

4 Likes

Probably because the translation is “Volcano”, not “Fire mountain”.

12 Likes

You can enter “fire mountain” as a user synonym if you want to I’m sure:) :fire::mountain:

What is a volcano if not a fire mountain🌋?

2 Likes

Agreed! It’s one of those words I love to see because the Kanji perfectly describe it!

3 Likes

It’s more of a magma/lava mountain really.

3 Likes

If you wanted fire mountain, your best bet is to say 火の山(ひのやま).

although fire mountain sounds like something they’d call a volcano in an old game

1 Like

It all changed when the fire nation attacked :fire:

8 Likes

Because you’re expected to know English, not pidgin English. Use your top head more.

1 Like

Is that like when I say “coo” instead of “cool”?

14 Likes

Just a note that the word you’re looking for is pidgin, but that’s definitely not the first time someone has made that mistake.

unless you actually mean the form of English pigeons speak, in which case why am I learning Japanese, that sounds way cooler

5 Likes

ahh I only ever heard it, never saw the spelling. Thanks.

1 Like

coo coo katchoo my guys.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.