Why am i like this

I was about to burn it

76 Likes

I did the same and I bet there is more than just the two of us :laughing:

12 Likes

Iā€™ve done that.

5 Likes

Definitely add it as a user synonym!
Iā€™ve been helpfully reminded of good synonyms to add by burn reviews many a timeā€¦

30 Likes

Oh yeah, I remember that moment. Then round two with ā€œclanā€ radical being the same as ā€œlast nameā€ kanji.

And then I started renaming radicals which are also standalone kanji :smiley:

24 Likes

One of my favourite Totally Real Quote

57 Likes

Errors like this are the main reason i got the wanikani double check extension tbh

19 Likes

This is where I say screw it and add a synonym, I get what theyā€™re going for but Iā€™m not here for pedantry about radicals. This [äø€] is not one, itā€™s ground! This [十] is not ten, itā€™s cross! This [äøƒ] is seven. This [äŗŒ] is two. This [九] is nine. Well thatā€™s just confusing!

14 Likes

Been there done that. More than once too.

1 Like

Yup, same thing.

WK should be a lot more lenient on radicals, especially when itā€™s about to burn. These radicals are not going to be used for your everyday Japanese experience anyway, and are just crutches to learn kanji. Once you have learned the kanji using the radicals, those radicals lose their usefulness.

In fact I think you should burn radicals at the same time as youā€™d usually guru it (4+8+23+47 hours).

14 Likes

Maybe not guru, but Enlightened, Iā€™ve completely forgotten stuff I had in master and I had to reread the radical composition and relearn why it made sense

7 Likes

WK should at the very least add a ā€œwe are looking for the Radical name, not the Kanji meaningā€ shake for these, instead of punishing you for seeing Kanji when WKā€™s whole purpose is to teach you Kanji

51 Likes

That would be incredibly reasonable.

2 Likes

@Mods would this at least be possible to add?

8 Likes

Iā€™m sure theyā€™ve addressed why they donā€™t do this previously, but for the life of me I canā€™t find that response, so it may just have been a jellybean fuelled fever dream.

6 Likes

Itā€™s annoying, but at the end of the day it doesnā€™t really matter. Itā€™ll show up eventually, you got plenty of time until 60 anyway. Besides, when you see it in a kanji, you know what it is, which is the most important part.

1 Like

This is why I always used undo for radicals and just cheated them if necessary.

7 Likes

Hi! Each radical just has one name. The radicals typically have more descriptive names than their kanji equivalents, which are easier and more memorable to incorporate into mnemonic stories. You can read more about why we chose the names we did here. Like others have mentioned, if youā€™d like to add ā€œoneā€ as a correct answer, you can do that through the user synonym feature :raised_hands:

2 Likes

I believe this request was for the shake-feature for those cases where kanji and radical look the same but have different meanings in Wanikani.

5 Likes