Where is the narwhal?

Sorry to make this useless post, but it’s driving me crazy. Like a scratch I can’t itch.

For the Narwhal radical, can anyone help me understand the narwhal part? I can’t see it at all, and I understand these are usually a stretch.
It’s driving me crazy.

Thank you!

3 Likes

It’s from this article: Learn Katakana: The Ultimate Guide

21 Likes

You are amazing, thank you.

1 Like

I’m gonna be honest I didn’t even know what a narwhal looked like until this picture, I simply memorized the radical lmao

2 Likes

:notes:Narwhals narwhals swimming in the ocean :notes:

… I’m sorry

1 Like

The craziest thing is that its “horn” is actually a tusk and it comes out of one side of their mouth!

4 Likes

While I can see the narwhal (and I know it is), I don’t know it can be this cute.

Anyway, to be fair, WaniKani should just link to that article.

1 Like

They should use their own pictures on the site.

1 Like

I already knew Katakana coming into WK, so I always just remembered the narwhal radical more for the fact that its name starts with “na”, the sound of the Katakana character it visually resembles.

Incidentally I think I was taught the Katakana ナ with the narwhal mnemonic, so I guess whether you’re learning the symbol as a kana or as a radical, you will learn what this animal looks like, lmao.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.