When do the kana-filled example sentences end?

I remember trying to read the example sentences in the past, but it always took too much time because there were a lot of words where the kanji was replaced with hiragana (in cases where the kanji would usually be present).

I see that the example sentences change to “Context Sentence” when reaching level 21. Do the sentences finally change at this point as well? Or will they still have that weird kana mix?

1 Like

Yes, level 20 is as far as they’ve gotten in adding new sentences that make sure not to use kanji you haven’t learned yet.

They haven’t said that they aren’t going to keep going though, so it’s not like there’s a reason it stops at 20 except that they haven’t done it yet.

4 Likes

I hope they keep going. Sure the words can look weird, especially when kanji in jukugo get replaced with kana but you can look it up in jisho anyway, but it helps immensely in getting a feel for the word.

1 Like

I actually really prefer this, because it’s a lot easier to look up the words in kanji than it is to decipher a mess of hiragana. (Yomichan also really doesn’t handle raw hiragana very well)

This gets me thinking… is it worthwhile to start reading the example sentences again? 10 levels earlier in the year I had made this post because I was going at such a slow pace by reading the sentences and not picking much up.

Now I feel like I have the opposite problem. I’m only focusing on Kanji and I’m never reading enough.:upside_down_face:

However, reading the sentences still seems to take quite a bit of time…

Are these sentences valuable to read? Or are they full of stuff I’ll never see again?

It’s not perfect, but ichi.moe is pretty good about this as long as the entire word is written in hiragana. It tends to fail pretty hard at the half-kanji, half-kana sentences you might encounter still.

Though on the flip side, it’s probably not a bad idea to start working on being able to recognize words when written in kana, as a non-trivial number of the words you learn here will generally only be written in kana and if you plan to take the JLPT you will also encounter a non-trivial amount of words that won’t be written in kanji in the lower levels.

Plus depending on the target audience of native material, sometimes the authors will use kana instead of kanji if it’s assumed that the audience hasn’t yet learned that kanji. You’ll see this a lot in manga especially those that are targeted to student-aged readers and depending on at what age they will learn certain kanji.