Too complicated example sentences?

I just got to level 21, I’m not sure why exactly they tend to throw in kanji that are way above your current level in the example sentences, it just sort of throws me for a loop and makes me feel not crazy confident in my reading ability

3 Likes

They are in the process of adding more sentences to vocab items for levels beyond 20. All items used to have just one sentence, written with no particular regard for what kanji were used. Then they added simple sentences to the first ten levels. Then the next ten. So they know and at some point I’m guessing we’ll see 21-30.

3 Likes

Ah, I was wondering why the amount of example sentences dropped down to one starting with the 死 level, I was under the impression that they didn’t feel the need to have more than one after the first two classes

1 Like

Try looking up sentences elsewhere!

Jisho has a sentence search function (just add #Sentences to whatever you’re looking for) but they come from a public database so the quality of the example sentences varies wildly. Some are good, some will just confuse you further.

I know this is a stretch, but try to get an Electronic Japanese Dictionary. They have extremely good example phrases. They’re meant for Japanese people learning English, but since you can look up any Japanese word’s English definition, you’re set.

That said being, remember that while WaniKani do teaches some really good vocabulary, it also teaches some that it’s just for the sake of reading. It’s fine since WaniKani’s ultimate goal is to get you reading, but I’ve shown some of the words that had made me scratch my head to Japanese friends and their reaction is “I understand what this is trying to say, but no one uses this word at all”. So don’t get super stressed about understanding 100% of the example phrases, some of them are kind of forced to make the word fit!

I feel like I’m having the opposite problem. Some example sentences have words that are written only partially in kanji (when they should be all kanji–I’m not talking about okurigana), which really throws me off when I try to read them. WaniKani is what finally helped me grasp on’yomi vs. kun’yomi, but then it undermines its own guidance about determining which readings to use by presenting words that mix kanji and hiragana in an unnatural way.
And some sentences have such long sequences of kana that it’s hard for me to find the word boundaries. I would rather see sentences with all the kanji that would be used naturally, and then see furigana if I hover over them.

3 Likes

That’s actually how Japanese people are used to reading words that contain kanji they don’t know yet, for instance, when they are still in elementary school.

Teachers don’t have time to write both kanji and furigana on the blackboard most of the time, so they only write kanji the kids know, and they leave parts that use later kanji written in hiragana.

The difference, I suppose, is that usually the words as a whole are not new to the Japanese students. They can look at mixed kanji and hiragana and interpret the full meaning.

So, I wouldn’t say it’s “unnatural” since the same style of presenting writing does exist in education settings, but it might be more challenging for learners than for natives.

5 Likes

Good god, that must be difficult to remember to do. Well, I guess not as hard, since the grade levels are pretty well-defined and well-known, but still. I know even at my level, I have a hard time remembering which kanji to spell out in the beginner Japanese-only threads.

1 Like

Occasionally the students do heckle teachers that forget. “Sensei! We know how to write that one!”

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.