Showing kanji in the context sentences: yes or no? Here's an idea

So, basically in the new context sentences, kanji that the user has yet to learn at that point won’t be used (except in the 3rd example sentence - not sure?). This is awesome and I appreciate you guys work. However, more advanced students might also want to have a look at your lovely example sentences. Here’s the problem: stuff that they already know will still be in hiragana, not in kanji.

I just picked a random word from level 1: 入れる.

CS

A level 1 will look at this and notice two things:

• They will be reinforcing the ability to read 入れる
  • They will be able to read anything else in the sentence.

Here’s how a more advanced user will look at this:

• しかく should be 四角
  • なに should be 何

Here’s the idea: The moment one learns a kanji/word, any example sentence using it in hiragana will get the kanji/word converted to the kanji version. This will allow every single example sentence to follow the user’s progress.

I know this isn’t a big problem, but I thought it might be worth sharing nevertheless. I also know this becomes less of a problem in higher levels, but the better the content is for beginners, the more comfortable they’ll become with their WK journey (AKA continuing with the program). It might be something worth implementing while you release the extra example sentences.

With lots of love,

JP :heart:

17 Likes

Tons of words that aren’t taught on WK are used in example sentences, so they’d just remain hiragana forever or have the same problem, no?

I personally think it’s something people could solve with a script, no? It’s a lot of work for something that isn’t really a “problem”.

1 Like

Yeah, that would be something to discuss. I guess it would make more sense to write those words in kanji (unless it’s a person’s name?). WK’s way of thinking is that it teaches you enough readings through kanji/vocab that you’ll be able to function while exposed to native content. Example sentences should probably follow this rule.

Definitely. I think they could. But I still wanted to share this in the feedback section because I think that pushing most new ideas to the script creators might not always be the best route to go. The idea was given, and both the WK team and the script creators are able to go for it if they wish.

I agree with you that this is not really a problem after a couple of months, but hey, better safe than sorry.

PS: Bunpro implemented furigana in their website. Not sure if a similar system could be implemented to just show kanji/hiragana (and forget furigana).

3 Likes

Furigana sounds like a better option. I think it’s strange to not use Kanji, when the whole idea of this system is to learn Kanji…

What’s the argument against using furigana?

It shouldn’t be a lot of work if it’s “fixed” on time. I really don’t know how they architect the system, but being a Kanji learning solution, it sounds a bit naive to not organise better the relationship between Kanji and their phonetic equivalent.

1 Like

I also think that they should use more kanji in their example sentences. Adding furigana would be great, because sometimes they have difficult kanji in the early levels and it’s hard to read.

1 Like

Not sure, but the WK team already mentioned that they don’t intend to use furigana.

1 Like

So furigana is “cheating” but using hiragana instead of Kanji is not? What’s the logic behind it?

1 Like

No need to. Rikaisama already solves this: http://rikaisama.sourceforge.net/

1 Like

No idea. It would be cheating if they were giving you furigana on kanji/words that you should already know. But if it was to follow the user progress, this would never be a problem.

3 Likes

I’m not against the idea, though. I remember struggling a lot to read context sentences during the first levels. I think it’s a great improvement! But maybe using Kanji and furigana at the same time instead of just using hiragana would add more value to early stage users as they’ll get more accustomed to reading Kanji? The idea of following user progress makes a lot of sense as well.

2 Likes

I often use WK on mobile so it’s not really an option for me. Unless there’s something else I’m not aware of :blush:

I agree. I believe the argument is that it is too much of a niche function to waste time on it. Definitely don’t agree.

2 Likes

Also there are a lot of kanji that are usually written using kana alone (e.g. 又, 今日は, なる程).

But couldn’t that be fixed as you go on making new context sentences? I mean, for a native it’s intuitive to write なるほど. Idk. To me, it feels harder having to write stuff in hiragana… and constantly checking the kanji’s level…

Yeah, you’re right, that’s not such a big problem.

I really loved the idea of converting from hiragana to kanji as soon as you learn a new kanji. I usually skip reading the third context example because it has so many new kanji that I can only understand the new vocab being taught (a few sentences are understandable, but the majority is not).
It would be a great “Setting” to have, and only those interested would turn on

I usually use WK on mobile or corporate computer, so adding scripts is basically a dream.

1 Like

Glad to hear that you support this idea :slight_smile: Now let’s hope this reaches the WK team.

1 Like

This is definitely a great idea. I hope they implement it, and they should definitely give the option to show furigana for the kanjis not yet taught. It doesn’t make sense to write everything in kana.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.