What's the deal with 乃?

There are no vocabulary in Wanikani utilizing 乃, but it is taught at level 52 (just did the lesson). Is this a mistake? Checked the forum and no one else seemed to have this question.

1 Like

There are some kanji with no vocabulary in the 50s, and generally speaking they are all kanji that typically appear in names. The staff plans to add these names as vocab at some point. They just haven’t yet. It does get asked now and then, though maybe not about this kanji specifically.

If you have heard of the idol group Nogizaka46, they use this kanji. 乃木坂46

6 Likes

Yeah, but 乃 is typically read as の in proper nouns, while WaniKani teaches it as ない.

The only word using the ない reading on Jisho is 乃至, which is usually written in kana.

3 Likes

Considering that these have been orphaned for years despite frequent reminders to the staff, I think it’s safe to say they just didn’t put much thought into what reading they’d teach or how they’d use them.

3 Likes

If you have watched oreimo, kirino’s name uses 乃 as the “no”.

1 Like

I asked this question in July 2017 and the content was “complete and ready to go” at that time, lol

6 Likes

Given that you asked in 2017… what the heck? A little slow on the update, I guess…

綾 is another kanji that has no vocab. (taught as りん but comes up immediately with あや)

Names are all over the place, but just some basic names added would at least be interesting from a learners perspective.

ah, I see someone from that other post made a list of all of the orphan kanji List of kanji with no vocab? - #16 by VegasVed

Doesn’t it also show up in store signs from time to time as an artistic way of writing the possessive の? (の was derived from 乃 after all.)

2 Likes

No, that wasn’t even two years ago. For these guys, that’s not even long enough for them to start thinking about possibly brainstorming. Better wait a few more years before we send a follow-up e-mail. Don’t want to pester them.

Perfectly great opportunity to teach 綾取り too!

I think that’s why @koichi no longer gives predictions for when things will be released…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.