What is the value of the kanji that have no vocab?

Since getting to level 50, I’ve started coming across kanji that have no vocabulary associated with them.乃, 亮, and 綾 are some examples. I’ve looked these up on Jisho, and they don’t seem particularly common (and in most cases don’t even use the reading WK teaches). At first I thought maybe they were common in names, but WK doesn’t teach the right readings for that. So is this a case of WK just being stupid, or is there some hidden value to learning these kanji?

Well I don’t know the other ones, but 綾 (Aya) is a common name lol

EDIT: apparently 亮 is “Ryo” which is also a common name. Got nothing for you on the stair looking one though.

I have also wondered for a while. Do I need to know the reading for 々?

Maybe WaniKani is preparing you for 漢字検定 (lol)

@ffUQilNfBXcvoFRe, your username is as random as beautiful! It looks like an always useful openssl rand -base64 12! (…) That’s it. Sorry for the off-topic! I’m looking forward to read more on this thread.^^

1 Like

The title says it all, it’s akin the sound of one hand clapping in the woods where no one can hear it.

Now child, go meditate further…

I noticed that on Jisho. WK of course teaches りん as the reading though. I guess りん can be how it’s read in some names, but it seems less common than あや. Usually when a kanji is more prevalent in names, there’s a note about it though, so it’s hard to assume that was the intention with these.

Huh, interesting that wanikani teaches りん. I haven’t gotten to that level yet obviously, but I recognized that kanji just because I do know a couple people named Aya.

乃 for の is quite common, but I have never thought of it as ない.

1 Like

I’ve seen 乃 used as the の particle in several Ryokan, also for 乃木坂46

1 Like

Doesn’t 乃 show up sometimes in store signs and stuff like that as a stylistic choice for の? I’ve only seen it once (in media, not physically) so I don’t know if that’s a common use. Maybe someone who’s been to Japan can confirm or deny this.

If there is a kanji that doesn’t have related vocab, it’s because it’s common in names. We’ll be adding names in the (soonish?) future.

5 Likes

But WK doesn’t teach 乃 as の, nor does it even list the possessive particle as one of its meanings.

1 Like

It’s there probably because the system won’t let them input a kanji that has a meaning but no reading. And you can’t argue against the use of knowing what 々 means and how it is used.

3 Likes

True code monkey. Me bro!!

Only place I can think of 乃 being used as ない is 乃至(ないし)

Right, I find that part very odd.

It’s probably only useful if you need to talk about it for some reason. Like if you were asking a question in Japanese about its usage. That said, I knew it first as くりかえし rather than のま, so I wonder what the most common reading is.

So in the case of 綾, what’s the reasoning behind teaching りん and not あや as the reading?

Some of the readings had to change because there was a delay with the dev team’s implementation of the names. It should be changed once the features are done.

3 Likes

I’ve seen 乃 in the credits of anime and drama sometimes… so perhaps it’s part of names like みずの and so on? (Because I’m at such a low level I couldn’t identify this kanji on TV - now I’ll pay more attention now that I know at least a reading for it.)

Well Mizuno is 水野 and it looks like 乃 is mostly used as a particle. But I found this on jisho.org and it looks the most informative of anything I’ve found so far. (I got curious after reading the original post and started looking it up lol)

Also y’all can see that I’m planning on baking key lime pie squares now I guess ╮ (. ❛ _ ❛.) ╭