What was your most recent OMG moment from Wanikani?

Mine is when I realized the “nozomi” shinkansen is probably referring to 望み, or wish / hope. Mind blown.

7 Likes

I’ve known the word for “vampire” since before I even started studying Japanese (from things like Vampire Knight, Chibi Vampire, and others). Of course, I didn’t know the kanji for it (or the kana for that matter).

Then I learned 吸血鬼. “Blood sucking monster.” Doesn’t get much clearer than that. :joy:

13 Likes

遊戯 (ゆうぎ) means “Game”, and I was wondering if that’s part of the name for that old card game “Yu-gi-oh!”

Can anyone confirm?

9 Likes

Yu-Gi-Oh! (遊☆戯☆王 Yū-Gi-Ō! , lit. “King of Games”) from Yu-Gi-Oh!.
It is! :grinning:

10 Likes

I was expected the Oh part to be oo from 大きい

1 Like

Nah, pretty much any title that ends with Oh is gonna be 王. LIke, Kamen Rider Den-O is 仮面ライダー電王, or the Reio in Bleach is 霊王 and so forth.

3 Likes

The freaking Katana, it took me 5 seconds to realise, wait, I know this !

3 Likes

Nothing major, probably 少年 and 少女, more the former as it was like these two random characters have the meaning boy, and I was like “What, how am I going to remember that?!”, then realising I’ve watched a lot of shounen anime and have issues of shounen jump and that was it! Same but a lesser extent to Shoujo.

2 Likes

OMG i just realized “tonkotsu” means “pork bone”. mind blown.

2 Likes

My most recent was learning the various components of 折り紙 (origami) as ‘fold’ and ‘paper’ and I never made the connection until it popped up as vocab and blew my mind.

1 Like

I learnt 握る recently, and I went “oh hey, I wonder if that’s related to onigiri…”

Very next lesson batch: お握り

1 Like

I literally just said this exact thing a few hours ago on Discord.

Does that count as Leebo’ing? :thinking:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.