What is the level distribution on here?

I know this isn’t a science thread and you’ve essentially already got your answer, but as a neuroscientist, I feel obliged to point out that B is using network/graph analysis, which - while perhaps superficially related to neuroscience - is much more commonly used in analysing social networks than in neuroscience. In fact, I can’t remember seeing these terms in neuroscience at all!

(We do talk about “small world” or “global village” networks once in a while, but it looks like the WK forum is more tightly clustered around a few central nodes than fits either of these descriptions)

4 Likes

I totally knew those two terms before today :eyes: , I am not lying :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Need to look them up :slightly_smiling_face: They sound like they are oxymorons :blush:

I think this could be because of the highly transient nature of users. So the few who stick around guide the newbies and tend to be more active compared to others. Survival Bias.

1 Like

It’s also in part due to the data itself. Since it’s based on the “Most liked” and “Most liked by” data, you’re naturally going to get a bias towards the larger nodes. I think the full like graph would be interesting, but there’s no easy way to retrieve it in a reasonable amount of time, so it can’t be helped.

2 Likes

There’s also no cost to network traversal: In physical space, be it inside a skull or inside a city, there’s a cost to making long-distance connections. Here, the cheapest way of accessing the network (through the recent topics list) is also the least restrictive, so there’s little structural incentive to form distinct clusters.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, can anyone find out what the chances are for any given user actually reaching level 60? I saw an old thread that about 22 people reach level 60 in any given month, though I wonder what that translates to percentage wise? .1%? Even less? :thinking:

1 Like

We are legion!

2 Likes

Based on the graphs in this post, about 2% of users who continue past the free levels make it to level sixty.

7 Likes

For some newer and even more accurate numbers based on this post from Oct 2020:

• Out of the 46546 accounts between levels 4-60, 1270 of them were level 60: ≈ 2.73%

• Out of the 13152 free accounts between levels 4-60, 311 of them were level 60: ≈ 2.36%

• Out of the 17494 paid accounts between levels 4-60, 272 of them were level 60: ≈ 1.56%

• Out of the 15900 lifetime accounts between levels 4-60, 687 of them were level 60: ≈ 4.32%

In conclusion, buy a lifetime subscription and double your chances of getting to level 60 :sunglasses:

19 Likes

What a spurious correlation. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

You know there’s a heavy discount on Lifetime for lvl 60 users?

Plus, it’s not uncommon for people whp reached lvl 60 to reset and never get back to 60 again. So that’d raise the completion rate.

4 Likes

But those free accounts were at some point paid. And many of the 60’s get a lifetime with the discount. So it pretty much evens out to 4% both.

1 Like

No what do you mean, I got to level 60 with my free account!

1 Like

Yeah, it’s hard to make any decisive conclusions from the data, but we can at least infer that the free accounts at level 4-59 quit WaniKani for whatever reason (either permanently or just temporarily) since they were once paid accounts - but we have no idea who has quit or not among the paid and lifetime accounts

1 Like

Yesterday and the day before, I learnt how many members there are in the three different level 60 groups:

• 357 free accounts (as of yesterday)
  • 392 paid accounts (as of two days ago)
  • 984 lifetime accounts

Since I’m in the lifetime group, I also know how many lifetime members there are in total on the forum:

Tell me if I got the URLs wrong - I don’t have access to the non-lifetime groups, but here they are:

Lifetime groupLevel 60 lifetime group
Paid groupLevel 60 paid group
Free groupLevel 60 free group

3 Likes

2 Likes

What happens if your account runs out, can you still do reviews etc on your existing lessons? Can you do more lessons on your current level? Can you just do reviews on content from the free level?

I ask because I could see myself at the point where the year I have paid for is up, and I want to focus on other priorities for a bit but don’t want to lose the progress I’ve made. I wonder whether some of the free level 4+ users are maintaining, rather than off the wagon completely.

how was this possible??

I thought after level 3 we all had to pay to keep getting lessons and reviews.

It’s possible by the powers of joking

4 Likes

You’ll only see items from the free levels. So you can continue to review those until they’re burned but that’s it.

The good news is that your reviews will come back if you resubscribe again but it will play havoc with your intervals.

2 Likes

Since it’s been a while since we last made a level distribution graph. I went ahead and made a new one. Although the distribution isn’t all that different from last time, we just have more users now. We finally managed to cross 100000 users with the Basic badge on this forum this year :grin:

First of all, the basic graph of the total number of users per level, split up into subscription type. I’ve also added a graph with a logarithmic scale to make the drop-off slightly easier to see:

Since the first 3 levels are significantly higher than all other levels. I also made graphs excluding the first 3 levels, so the other levels are slightly easier to see:

And finally, I made some graphs that show how many users reach a given level.

So the overall distribution didn’t change that much this year, but the number of users did increase quite a bit this year. There are a lot of us now :grin:

35 Likes