What is the hardest kanji/vocab word/grammar point for you to remember?

Is there any particular phrase or grammar point that always escapes you, no matter how many times you’ve read over it? For me, it’s causative/passive forms.

For me, it’s Japanese.

Also, if anyone has in the past had trouble with a grammar point, but now knows a creative way of thinking about it, etc., please add it here for the rest of us to study!

Of the grammar I have explicitly tried to learn, I have trouble remember the “must”/“must not” grammar. Other than the casual きゃ version because it’s so short.

My worst leech of all time was the vocabulary item 平気, but I think I have it under control now.

Right now I’m struggling to remember how to write the Kanji 建.

I have a hard time remembering which is which between 謙譲語1 and 謙譲語2

When it comes to grammar, the best way I’ve found to understanding it is to try and explain it. This may seem like a weird method (like how can you explain something you don’t understand?), but thinking about it in a different way can really help make more sense of it.

As for my weakest grammar point, it would probably be the use of は and が. Countless explanations and I still struggle with when が is better to use (outside of particular verbs and phrases).

What made 平気 that difficult? As a lv 5, this doesn’t seem TOO horrible. Is there another kanji really close to it?

I kept answering peaceful. Once it’s in your head, it becomes very difficult to unlearn.

Ah, that seems horrible… Is it not close enough to be added as a synonym? Translate has it at the 4th option.

Actually, Einstein claimed that if you can’t explain something simply, you don’t understand it well.

Also, I totally have issues with that grammar point as well. X.X

I think many people struggle with this, myself included. I found this article to be helpful though, so maybe it can help you too. I read it a while ago, so I don’t remember if it addresses your specific question about when to use が over は, but it’s probably worth reading anyway.

For some reason I have had most trouble with 日光 but I’ts getting better now and I usually remember it :slight_smile:
It’s been a leech for some levels now though, and guess I’m no fan of sunlight?

I would say what is the hardest thing for me to remember, but I can’t remember for the life of me what it is.

I don’t know why but I tend to forget Kun’yomi readings too often. It really grinds my gears.

Once you learn conditionals it makes so much more sense. If you say “勉強しなければいけません。” you’re basically just saying “if I don’t study it won’t do” or something along those lines. Genki teaches it as a canned phrase but it’s actually just a combination of some other grammar and vocab.

Thank you so much!! This is so in-depth, it definitely helped me a lot! (I also love the ability to turn off romaji, I wish more websites had this!)

実感 (じっかん) - real feeling.
Why “true feeling” is not correct? It’s not in the same sense of “true love”?
Can some native English speaker explain this? Please.

I added “true feeling” as a synonym right away. I think they are the same.

You’re welcome. I also love that aspect of his site. I haven’t bought his book yet, but I’ve heard good things. So when I’m ready to refocus on grammar, I’ll probably buy it.