What is the difference between 心持ち and 気持ち?

Is there a difference in nuance/when you’d use them?

2 Likes

気持ち is specifically feeling about something you’ve experienced, while 心持ち is your mental state. (心 is often used for your mind as well)

7 Likes

気持ち is also two orders of magnitude more common, looking at the Google ngram frequencies:

気持ち 39012882 99.5%
心持ち 136146 0.3%
心持 75830 0.2%

Which doesn’t mean you won’t see the other word, but 気持ち is a very high frequency word, so if you only remember one that’s the one.

4 Likes

EDIT: Goo does describe this difference in usage

「気持ち」は、「心持ち」「気分」よりも感情や考えている内容を具体的に表わすことが多い。「どうしても大学に行きたい気持ち」とはいうが、「大学に行きたい心持ち(気分)」とは普通いわない。

「気持ちがいい」「心持ちがいい」「気分がいい」とはいうが、そのいい気持ちにしてくれた対象を主語とした場合、「心持ち」「気分」は使いにくい。「彼のふるまいは気持ちがいい」とはいうが、「彼のふるまいは心持ち(気分)がいい」とは普通いわない。これも、〔1〕で述べた「心持ち」「気分」が具体的な内容を表わさないということと関連がある。

4 Likes

If I understand correctly the keyword here is 具体的: 気持ち is more concrete than 心持ち or 気分.

But as @pm215 mentions this is frankly just an instance of WaniKani muddying things by teaching near-synonyms together even though one of them is massively more useful than the other.

気持ち is insanely common (top 225 by frequency according to JPDB), 気分 is decently common too although not nearly as ubiquitous and 心持ち I’m not sure I’ve ever encountered personally and JPDB puts it at top 15k.

3 Likes

Right. You will see 気持ち two hundred times for every 心持ち, if you believe the ngram stats…

2 Likes

Interestingly enough, the last time I saw 心持ち was just a couple days ago, and it didn’t have any of these meanings. It was the adverbial “just a bit” meaning, which still feels weird to me.

7 Likes

Actually I went looking on jisho for example sentences to get a better feel for 心持ち but I didn’t mention it in my previous comment because it only has one (versus hundreds for 気持ち and 気分) and it’s actually the meaning you mention:

消費は心持ち伸びる程度でしょう。
Spending will grow only a touch faster.

3 Likes

I love Google ngrams and I was sorry to see that it’s not available for Japanese for free. Are you using this paid resource?

1 Like

I use this site if I want to look for frequency information:
https://www.manythings.org/japanese/words/leeds/

気持ち is 516.
心持ち is not listed, so it’s at the very least 15k+

1 Like

No, I use the EDRDG one: Google N-Gram Corpus Counts . There’s also this which uses a different corpus: Kyoto/Melbourne N-Gram Corpus Counts

4 Likes