What is a uni?

For “to hit” 打つ in Level 4 there is a “uni” mentioned. What exactly is that supposed to be? I tried to look it up but didn’t find anything promising. Any help is appreciated.

1 Like

Okay, strange that they just use the Japanese word for it.
It’s these things Sea urchin - Wikipedia they are called uni in Japanese (see section “As food”).

8 Likes

Thank you very much :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think they just use the Japanese word for it because many people already know the word from sushi restaurants. Not everyone eats sushi on the reg, but my guess is to the WaniKani developers, they felt it was okay to use the word uni in English just like it’s okay to use the words sushi. I’m sure depending on where you’re from, access to sushi and the prevalence of the word “uni” in English varies wildly.

1 Like

I knew uni was a type of fish but I didn’t know it was sea urchin lol

If it had been unagi, I’d seen that plenty enough, but I don’t think I’ve seen uni often, and I do frequent sushi restaurants.

2 Likes

Yeah, the word really confused me when I first saw it in a mnemonic because I’ve never eaten sushi and to me ‘uni’ is a shortening of university (not helping due to the difference in pronounciation)

2 Likes

English is not my native language so several times words new to me that appear in lessons I look them up on google and google images to have an idea what it is.

recently is for ‘rapids’, in my native lamguage we use ‘tide’ or simply ‘water’ for everything related to it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.