What is a Narwhal?

man… i didnt know about it also, u r not alone! =D

The french, spanish and portuguese word for narwhal is narval. The german one is narwal. You don’t need to be a native english speaker to catch the meaning.

2 Likes

I hated that radical name first time I saw and every time I see it again. Destroys all mnemonics I find. I just wrote other stuff to remember this one.

1 Like

Before the internet came to the general population in the mid-1990’s, we had books with pictures of marine animals, including narwhals. Books with new pictures we “downloaded” by flipping pages with our hands. Imagine that. :open_mouth:

5 Likes

I still don’t know what a “hick”.

1 Like

Impossible. None of that adds up jack.

In case these also help, this is what a narwhal looks like when having its first doughnut :doughnut:

And this is what a narwhal looks like when it needs to go to time out

22 Likes

Lol, this thread was nice :DD

1 Like

And now I want to hug your narwhal. :heart_eyes: And to eat a doughnut. :drooling_face:

1 Like

Oh, I’ve heard of a Narwhal before. But, I highly suggest that you add two synonyms to that one. First is NA (because that’s basically a katakana NA) and second YUU, because if you look at the kanji that actually use that radical (btw not an actual radical) you’ll see nearly half of them have ‘YUU’ as one of the readings.

So, Narwhal is cute, but pretty useless, where as ‘NA’ and ‘YUU’ will actually help you out later.

NOOOOOooo, i was planing to post that

just saw the date :sweat_smile:

When you are going through the radicals, here are some links that will help you out:
https://kanjialive.com/214-traditional-kanji-radicals/

Some of the quasi-radicals and names for them wanika uses can cause you a good bit of confusion later. I’d suggest that after each lesson that contains a radical, first see if the radical directly corresponds to a kanji, if so use the meaning of the kanji and/or vocabulary. If it doesn’t have a kanji then second, try to look the radical up in one of the above links (there’s a lot of overlap at each link but also some variations). If you find it, use the meanings from the tables, those meanings are generally much more closely related to how they will later be used in kanji and vocabulary. If you still haven’t found it, see if it corresponds to a hiragana or katakana character and also look to see if it’s inclusion in a kanji tends to cause a certain pronunciation.

At the very least, spending some time verifying the meanings of the radicals will help you remember them down the road.

Example, this 黽 is the radical for Frog, not this 支 (which is actually support or branch). And you will be annoyed when you answer frog on a kanji that you should have answered support to because you remembered the radical as frog initially. BTW, the meanings of support and branch for 支 will help you out alot wheres the meaning of frog will later just confuse you.

this is a narwhal

and if you like airplanes like I do this is also a narwhal

6 Likes

If only those planes didn’t stop at the prototype stage… I WANT ME A NARWHAL :frowning:

sadly they were kind of obsolete from the get-go and France at the time really wanted to get behind the whole jet aircraft craze and just wasn’t interested in contra props anymore

I am guessing they weren’t aerodynamically sound?

no the plane was fine it just wasn’t a jet

Nah, he had reset to level 6 lol

Yes. And so, when I saw narwhal, I looked for the translation in my language, narval and found out that I didn’t know the word in my native language either (to be honest, I think I had the vague memory it was some marine animal but nothing more).

As a flight simmer I am loving this discussion. :slight_smile: It is not usual, but perfectly possible, to put a propeller on the back of an airplane. Check out this Velocity RG. The Narwhal was just designed too late in aviation history.

2 Likes