What has been your pace for progression?

I’m curious as to how long it takes for most people to progress through a single level. I’d also like to know how long it has taken for you to reach the current level you are at!

As for me, it takes on average 15-20 days per level but I think I can do better as I want to reach at minimum around level 20 before I start reading as most N5-N4 vocab should be covered by then. At the moment most by reading is getting through Bunpro, with me being half way through N4 grammar, though I feel it’ll take me at least another 6 months before I can read with a little more confidence.

Also if you’re curious yourself, you can use wkstats.com and connect your WK there as it shows how long has taken you per level, as well as a bunch of other cool stats. Would 100% recommend as a tool to use!

2 Likes

I don’t aim for a consistent per-level day count, but a consistent per-day lesson count. With 18 lessons, except on Radical day, I’m currently at:

But I’m still in the range of what I’ve learned before the reset. I’m planning to lower the item count soon, probably around level 12/13.

2 Likes

I usually try to do all the lessons immediately trying to push as many mnemonics inside my head as possible and then when I have time, I do the reviews in as many batches as I can manage. I usually have 1.5 hours of travelling time to work every morning and afternoon during weekdays, during work I take little breaks to take out a few and before going to bed I like to get 0/0 without an exception.

I usually forget some of the more obscure mnemonics the first time I do the reviews, that’s partly why the level up times aren’t “perfect” besides of course not doing the reviews whenever they come up exactly.

1 Like

I hit a wall. And then another wall, and another one.

I still do reviews daily, but a good portion of items cycle through the various levels.

I just look at it from the perspective that I have about 3000 items in my head and so it’s to be expected that they all aren’t just going to straight onto the burn pile. Especially if I’m not spending as much time outside WK as I should. But hey, 3000 items. I think that alone is quite the accomplishment. At least that’s what I tell myself for motivational purposes.

7 Likes

I feel like in my case, what helps a ton is that I’m studying grammar alongside while also trying to read stuff. You tend to see the common kanji often enough and the srs system will only challenge you with the lesser used ones which is a much more manageable chunk

The jump in duration came from starting to get burns and only doing one session rather than 2 most days (yay work). My accuracy has also dropped now the kanji are a lot more complex and there are usually 2-3 very similar to mix up with)

I only take new lessons if i’m under 100 apprentice items, and I don’t skip out on vocab or “cheat pass” kanji through to Guru1 using scripts like a lot of the speedsters on the forums do to keep up a 7 day per level pace.

As long as you’re making progress, there’s no right speed or right way to make progress. Taking advice is great, but do what works for you.

8 Likes

Yeah, I find that cheat passing apprentice items is more destructive than selective cheat passing in the later levels.

1 Like

around 9 days. WIth, reorder script( learn radicals>kanji>vocab first- at new level) and around 20 lessons a day it’s manageable for me- like reading all mnemonics/read sentences. But I also use Torii.srs as supplementation for vocab- it gives you input/+output+ kana words.

at 15 lvl, im planning to cover tokiniandy genki youtube 1-2 course+ cure dolly organic Japanese course

at 20 il definitely gonna slow down for 12-13 days per level in order to start immersion- anime with japanese subtitles at animelon.

2 Likes

Right now my average still says 7 days, but the first 3 levels were super fast so that will likely go up.

My last two levels were 10 days. But I noticed that that I got a TON of vocab at the end of the level (basically it took me 5 days for the radicals, then 5 days for the kanji, so I unlocked 75% of the vocab at level up). So now I am spacing my lessons a little bit more, and going to see whether ~15 days per level is a bit more sustainable.

1 Like

Average (excluding breaks): minus 28 days. Median 9 days. Skipped level 19. 1435 days on level 30.

8 Likes

Nice! Love the persistence :-). Looks like you’ve hit your stride!

1 Like

Day 210. Have had some ups and downs but recently started shooting for ~12 new lessons per day (not necessarily all in one go) to see how that goes. I like to complete all vocab for a level before starting radicals for the next level. Balancing family, work and learning requires some flexibility so more concerned with consistency than speed.

4 Likes

7-8 days per level. I’m trying to learn as much Kanji as possible before N2 test this December.

7 Likes

Awesome! Good luck on your N2!!

1 Like

About 8 days though it is probably gonna increase.

1 Like

Very cool to see everyone’s different paces!
Here’s mine!

Let’s ignore the first level up… I made an account, then didn’t sign in for over a year…

Usually around seven days, except for when work was really busy the end of last month.
I usually do wanikani multiple times a day, and when I am home I try to do reviews anytime they become available.
But I also know most of the kanji and vocab up to my current level so far, so I imagine level ups will start to take longer the higher up I go.

3 Likes

I am still a newbie here. I’m just on Level 2. But I know that some days I experience a burn out . I already calculated it takes me about 9-11 days per level if I do many reviews a day [like 5 at minimum] I noticed a lot keep switching between guru and apprentice. I know it’s going to get harder as I level up.

2 Likes

Nah the first level is the slowest level. It took me 11 days. You will know what is your pacing actually is around level 4-5.

I almost quit Wanikani on level 1 because it was too slow for me.

2 Likes

Here’s me!

About two weeks a level! :smile:

1 Like

When did you attempt N5 and N4? want to use that as a benchmark

1 Like