What happened to 4500 sentences?

Hello, I’ve been on Wanikani for a few months now, almost at level 10 now, and I was looking around for something to start applying the vocabulary I’ve been developing. I started using Bunpro, which is nice for explaining grammar and such to me, and now I want something more active.

I see that Tofugu used to offer something called 4500 sentences, which was a pdf file of a bunch of sentences to translate; this sounds exactly like what I was looking for, but… it doesn’t appear to be anywhere online. Is there a way for me to access this? Or a similar resource I could use, I would have been happy to buy it, but I can’t find it anywhere on the website.

-best,
MP

6 Likes

They used to have an online store, where you could buy some different swag, but it was shut down a while back. I forget the reasoning behind it. I think it was just due to it being a small operation and it being more work for a couple people than it was worth. I guess the digital goods went away with the physical?

2 Likes

Ayo?! This seems like an awesome resource to help make an anki deck or something.
I really don’t have the balls to tag Koichi, but if you do, go right ahead. He probably knows where to get these.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m thinking something like that might have happened. Just hoping I missed something on Tonfugu or here where I can access it. I noticed that they started putting out PDFs of the hiragana and katakana practice booklets recently; maybe they’ll do something like that for the practice sentences. :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

Maybe tatoeba/ clozemaster? The first one is a database of sentences, and the second one is a website to practice completing them (find the missing word among 4 propositions or write it yourself)

@koichi you got the sauce?

4 Likes

Might get a faster response from @Mods

Don’t think we’ve seen @koichi lurking around here for a while…

5 Likes

Checking his account, last post was March…
That’s quite some time.

You can find the announcement about the closure of the store here, and sadly 4500 Japanese Sentences is no longer available as well. That being said, it might be a part of a giveaway at some point in the future :eyes:

14 Likes

You can also use the example sentences. There’s probably more than 4500 even.

2 Likes

@arlo GOAT. Thanks for the response! Tell @koichi we say “hi”

1 Like

Well if you want to test yourself on Tofugu’s 500 sentences (that were free I presume?) you can see them in this thread: https://community.wanikani.com/t/tofugu-500-sentences-community-translation/6742
And there are also these 171 bonus sentences in this spreadsheet written by @koichi:
4501-4671 - Google Sheets

1 Like

sigh now I’m kicking myself for not buying them when I they were first made available

That’s kinda mid
Why not just post the PDFs? Legal reasons?

I think maybe the peoples who had pay for it before may not be happy to see it becoming free.
Can be better to wait a long time before make it available for free.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.