What does 第二中学校 mean?

Hi, I was watching an anime and stumbled across this, I’m not really asking for the literal meaning.
I get that it says second middle school (I hope I’m right), but I was wondering what does it mean with “second”. Is this just a Japanese thing? Like, that school is the second middle school of the city for some ranking or moment of construction?

3 Likes

I would dare say it means “second” as in the episode number, and then “middle school” for the episode name. Please correct me if i’m wrong.

2 Likes

like in the word 中二病 the 二 refers to the second grade of middle school. so itd be eight grade

Based on what I’ve seen from some books, I think at least some parts of Japan use a numbering system for their school names. So I think it’s basically Middle School #2, and there could be a 第一中学校, 第三中学校, etc. in the city as well. I don’t think it has to do with ranking or anything like that. Just an arbitrary numbering so the schools can be differentiated.

13 Likes

Nah its just the name of the school basically

12 Likes

Pretty sure it’s just when a town has more than one public school with the same area name, they number them.

10 Likes

A leech on iknow.jp for me is 二流. Perhaps there is some correlation. Probably not, I am nothing but クソ

1 Like

Aye, exactly what @seanblue, @Vanilla and @Leebo said. I’ve seen some in the real world, I wonder if I can remember where they are… or Google up a new one, like this:

If that doesn’t load with the correct zoom, it’s this sign that I’m pointing out:

7 Likes

Google Maps in Spanish :eyes:

1 Like

It’s swedish.

2 Likes

It’s the same in Poland - we have mostly public schools, and they all have their numbers. In bigger cities those number can easily reach the ranges of 20-30 for high schools and even over 100 for grade schools :wink:
For example my grade school was No.36 while my high school was No.3
Next to the number usually there’s also a name.
Incidentally, we don’t have middle schools. Grade/primary school is 8 years, and then there’s 4 years of high school. The 6+3+3 system has been introduced in 1999 or 2000 if memory serves (my younger brother attended middle school), but it has been abandoned recently.

3 Likes

第六十九中学校: ナイスな学校

7 Likes

I think that is correct. This mostly happens in public schools but can happen in private schools too.

Apparently, in the old education system in 昭和, they used to number schools in the order they built them in a given 都道府県, and there was up to 第二十三中学校 in Tokyo at one point.

Now they tend to name school after the town it’s located in.

1 Like

(It’s Dutch.)

Dutch? What do you mean?

1 Like

Are we just saying languages? Guys, it’s Japanese.

3 Likes

Nevermind me, I’m drunk, probably.

3 Likes

I only now realise that google maps screengrab wasn’t a screengrab but some advanced bulletin board inbedding magic. Which made the google maps thingie show up in everyone’s own system language.

Either that or we’re all just saying languages.

In which case: Tagalog!

3 Likes

That. It’s English for mine (though weirdly, temple names occasionally show up in Thai…)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.