What do you want now? (Request extensions here)

Are you free now?

1 Like

Thanks for reminding me! It is now on my todo list. Not sure when I will get to it, but eventually I will

1 Like

Kumirei’s todo list:

6 Likes

Congratulations! You’ve become me :wink:

7 Likes

An option for “onyomi preferred” when learning kanji. So, if an onyomi reading exists for a kanji, that would be the first one to memorize. This option would help users who are using the phonetic elements of many kanji (as in the Phonetic-Semantic Composition script).

@Wantitled recently created [Userscript] Wanikani Review Answer History which might help. Note the “Disclaimer” in the description post for what it can and can’t do. (This one doesn’t seem to be linked in the API and Third Party Apps Masterlist yet)

I also like ConfusionGuesser by @Sinyaven: it guesses which WK items you’re confusing when you enter a meaning/reading incorrectly and displays them in a sidebar during the review.

1 Like

Is there anything out there that will allow me to see both the meaning and the reading on the same page when doing lessons on chrome? The Tsurukame app does it and I find I’m able to make better mnemonics and tie the meanings and readings together better when I see them both at once. Thanks!

If anyone is feeling helpful right now, there’s a (probably) very simple-to-make script that could help me out a lot. I’m absolutely clueless when it comes to that stuff, so if anyone would be willing to make it for me, I’d be incredibly grateful! Here is what I’m looking for:

So I have a userscript that hides the English translation of the context sentences, making you hover over it in order to reveal it. For reference, I’ll leave a link to it below.

It’s certainly very useful to practice your reading and comprehension skills and has helped me a lot. But what I’m asking for now is the same script, but instead hiding the Japanese sentence. This would allow you to look at the English sentence first, translate it, and THEN look at a possible Japanese translation provided by WK.

I believe what I struggle with most is expressing myself in Japanese. If from now on, every time I learn a new word on WK, I get to use it in context (further reinforcing my memory of the newly learnt word), while simultaneously practicing to build sentences, and then looking at WK’s Japanese translation and comparing it with mine, if I make that a habit, how much would I improve in the long run?

As an idea, you could even make it hide both, so the script could be used either way: Japanese first OR English first. A blur spoiler like this could be cool be a good way to enhance the script. But even if it only hides the sentence just like in the script above, I’d be really happy.

2 Likes

It might get annoying having to first click to unblur the translation and then having to click again to unblur the Japanese sentence, but I implemented it as you suggested:

4 Likes

The original Hide Context Sentence script has a special place in my heart. The source code was so short and easy to understand that it got me into writing my own user scripts.

3 Likes

Fantastic, it works perfectly! Would give you two hearts if I could. Thanks a lot!

2 Likes

I recognize that this would be quite the undertaking, but a userscript to disambiguate “the same” meanings would be great. For example, having something on the pages for 林 and 森 saying what the difference between the two is.

1 Like

All this would need is a manually made list of text for each such instance. Even if you only consider primary meanings, that’s a lot of work. There were efforts to make such a list, but they never really got far.

Don’t know if there still is one, but would love a quick mode that immediately jumps to the next item when you answer correctly

That’s “Lightning Mode”. There’s an unsupported standalone version, but the Double-Check script (which is still supported) has Lightning Mode built in. You can disable all of the other features of Double-Check if you only want Lightning Mode.

3 Likes

Has anyone written a script to help disambiguate vocabulary with identical English “meanings”?

I’m thinking of something that compiles all the English primary and alternate meanings for every vocabulary item, then looks for items that accept an identical response for “meaning”.

It wouldn’t be hard to write something, but I wondered if it already exists.

I see posts like this one periodically. I’ve written some myself.

It would be interesting to at least view a sorted list of words with identical “meanings” (in quotes because often these words mean different things entirely).

I’m ultimately interested in identifying “hash collisions” where one English phrase has multiple, quite different, connotations, but Japanese has different words for the different connotations.

The first step is to just generate the list. The next (much harder) step would be to identify “hash collisions” vs. actual synonyms.

(Scripts like the Confusion Gueser do more than what I’m looking for.)

So is this the point I recommend starting a “one disambiguation a day” thread? :joy:
I don’t think there’s a script like that, at least haven’t seen anyone use anything like it and it would be out of date by now I’m pretty sure

1 Like

I think I’m done volunteering for a while! :laughing:

Between senryu and an entire freaking website I’m in the process of creating for sentence diagramming, I’m pretty much fully consumed.

It is probably not what you are looking for, but your description reminded me of the Kanji Search Notes script which lists groups of related words (similar kanji, pronunciations, meanings) for kanji and vocab items.

3 Likes

I am not sure if someone has created this one – New Lesson Blocker. Like no new lesson when

• Apprentice count more than 150
  • Guru more than 500
  • All Kanji of the level unlocked, and less than 90% of vocabularies in review Guru’d
  • Level 58-59, and strict criteria not met; and checkpoints every 10 levels

The idea comes from this – Level Up Work Around, but in the end, prioritize vocabularies of the level.

2 Likes