What did they mean by this?

It’s probably the “prospective” meaning like 未来の妻

Still a weird sentence without any context.

2 Likes

Feels like Pinocchio.

a grammar note i read this morning mentioned that the いる in ている was technically the same いる used for animated things existing (ex. 猫がいる). but that it mostly loses that connotation in the ている form. and contrasted it with てある.

i imagine that’s where the “living thing” comes from

Sure, I imagined that they read いる as being indicative of a living thing, but in ている I wouldn’t say it mostly loses that connotation. It doesn’t have that connotation anymore. ている can be used for things that aren’t living, moving, or anything related to that.

4 Likes

Some of WK mnemonics are quite crazy; you’ll get used to it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

To me it sounds like the speaker is telling the recipient they believe the recipient’s child will be like the person they are indicating one day.

For example, you’re watching the olympics podium ceremony with your friend that has a child that’s passionate about swimming and say “That (person standing there) is gonna be your kid one day.”

6 Likes

Although it looks plausible, it would be nice if an actual real life example (perhaps a YouTube) can be given…

A real life example of someone’s time-traveling child?

1 Like

Umm, it’s obviously the parent who is time traveling. :roll_eyes:

I only watched the first Back to the Future, my b.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.