What are your favorite Japanese books (available on Kindle)?

This post is simple. What are your favorite Kindle books?

1 Like

Is… is that different to my favourite non-Kindle books?

1 Like

If it’s a book that you do not have on Kindle but is available on Kindle, that’s fine. Otherwise, that would be a separate thread I think.

I think the confusion is that (almost) any book available on Kindle is, in reality, just a regular old book. Though not every book in existence is on Kindle, a very large number (especially popular books) are, so what exactly are you asking? Just for peoples favorite books, but explicitly those you could purchase through Kindle?

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I’m asking.

Maybe this is a silly question, but in English or Japanese?

In Japanese.

I personally really like the 銭天堂 series, which isn’t too hard of a read even if you’re new to native content. There’s a whole thread here about it so I won’t talk about it too much.

I also really enjoyed the light novel version of 君の名は, but if you haven’t seen the movie, the story is harder to follow depending on your Japanese level.

Currently, I’m reading 妖怪の子預かります which is by the same author as 銭天堂, but is a much more difficult book. It’s about a 12 year-old boy who gets tasked with the job of babysitting the children of various yokai, obviously shenanigans ensue.

Otherwise, the book club threads have lots of suggestions, since each book is voted on before being selected. They also have threads full of questions that people have which can be a great guide if you ever get stuck. Here is a master list of all book clubs, which should have synopses of every book nominated, and links to threads where the selected books were discussed.

7 Likes

My favorite Japanese read so far has been Mariabeetle by Kotaro Isaka, which I enjoyed in audiobook form, but it’s on Kindle as well.

The premise is that a bunch of colorful members of the Japanese underworld are stuck on the same Shinkansen from Tokyo to Morioka.

Basically the combination of suspense and humor is what made me enjoy it so much (unfortunately none of his other books have entertained me this much).

I blogged a bit more about it here as well.

3 Likes