What a time to be alive

21 Likes

You do realize it is 2020, right? So it is definitely a time alright…

9 Likes

20 Likes

I don’t know why, but I love this

8 Likes

13 Likes

There’s always a silver lining. I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for how the rest of 2020 turned out, so I got to thank 2020 for that.

6 Likes

I just got to 0 0 after working through about 1000 reviews from taking a year off…for the moment at least hah.

15 Likes

I don’t know if you’ll have seen this already, but you might be interested in joining The 0/0 Streak Challenge - #4014 by Politeod where many users are keeping up with their 0/0 streaks together ^-^

I know how that feels, so well done - I came back from a 7 month break back in June and had to do almost 1000 reviews to get back to zero again. A hard slog, but so rewarding when it’s done. Be sure to brace yourself for the aftershocks coming in the next week or so though, hehe.

5 Likes

How long will it take for me to get a lot of reviews? I’m staying home all day and I have so much time lol. I’ve been level 3 for a long time and this week I finally bought a subscription so I’m level 4 now and I just guru’d the first batch of kanji

1 Like

Same, it’s powerful.

2 Likes

Given how the SRS (Spaced Repetition System) works, there is a maximum possible speed at which it’s possible to progress on WaniKani; 6 days 20hours per level. Most people would probably say though that this isn’t strictly required and that you’ll be better off setting up a manageable routine. Doing twenty lessons per day is the recommendation I see most commonly and keeps you reasonably busy with reviews while not overwhelming you.

That maximum speed is because you can only progress to the next level when you’ve gotten the majority of kanji for the current level to Guru. When you level up, you get just over half of the kanji for that level unlocked and you must get these up to Guru before you unlock the rest for that level.

So if you look at the maths this way:

Unlock Kanji = 0hrs
Apprentice 1 → 2 = 4hrs later
Apprentice 2 → 3 = 8hrs after that
Apprentice 3 → 4 = 24hrs after that
Apprentice 4 → Guru = 48hrs after that

So the total levelling time for first batch = 3 days 12 hours
You then unlock the next batch and must spend 3 days 12 hours again on those

I wouldn’t be overly impatient, because the reviews will start to come in more frequently as you progress, because…

You’ll see items you have at Guru 1 after a week. Then again after two weeks. Then again after a month. Then again after four months. So the longer you progress, the more reviews you’ll start to see coming back from the earliest stuff you did. Once that happens, you’ll have reviews galore.

1 Like

Hmm I guess I’ll have to level up a few before I get more reviews. I would like to do like 100 a day or so because I literally do nothing all day so I got plenty time. I pre-studied all the kanji and vocab so when they come up to learn I know them all. I think I’ll level up in a few days, hopefully

1 Like

I’m doing about a hundred reviews a day. I’d say if you take on 20-25 lessons daily you’ll be up to 100 reviews a day in a week or so.

I just starting having guru 2 reviews coming up this past level, so that will get you there. Wanikani doesn’t work force by force, it works by sustained consistency. If you feel like you can do more, why not join a genki study group or add bunpro for grammar.

2 Likes

You should add this to the 0/0 streak thread!

1 Like

I’m curious to know what level your studied the kanji and vocab up to and how you’re finding your memory holding out?

If you’ve finding that WaniKani isn’t taking up enough of your time, you might also find it useful using something like BunPro to practice grammar, for example. Though as @oryantge says, if you do 20ish lessons a day, you’ll be up to regular reviews in no time!

1 Like

One thing I have learned is not to try to shuffle the order too much on new reviews. I leveled up twice without tackling the vocab and that was a MISTAKE.

Script users BEWARE. Me mindful if you’re going that route.

1 Like

haha. this might the only time this happens for a while!

Well if this isn’t sarcasm… Wait, it isn’t? Well, I guess it is a good time to be alive…

1 Like

I mean, objectively it’s a pretty dark timeline we find ourselves in in a lot of ways.

On the other hand, lots of us (for better or worse) are finding ourselves at home with a lot more time than usual and, I’ll admit, it has been making doing my reviews and lessons much easier.

Yes, fair enough. I do not think nowadays good, really, and that might be because everyone’s situation is different. It’s true that I have more time now, but being a student while all this mess sucks…
But it gave me the chance to finish WK early, so there’s a good thing to be thankful for. Perhaps you’re right.