What’s your favorite winter themed vocab?

Be it foods, activities, events, greetings, animals, etc - what winter themed vocab or expressions do you know in Japanese?

Doesn’t have to be your favorite, can also be words that you’ve learned recently or maybe not so recently. For example while travelling/staying in Japan or from watching TV shows. Feel free to share!

One of my favorite words that I learned last year was (かさ)(もち) - Small mochi placed on top of a bigger mochi. A traditional food/decoration during New Years in Japan. Also known as 鏡餅(かがみもち).

(Can apparently also mean two sumo fighters collapsed on top of each other.)

11 Likes

トナカイ reindeer

mostly because I heard a native speaker get razzed for forgetting the word and trying to use シカ instead. “So Santa uses deer, huh? :face_with_raised_eyebrow::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6 Likes

Just encountered this yesterday in a story:

積雪 [せきせつ] - fallen snow

2 Likes

Snow was one of the earliest kanji I taught myself, before WK. I just love it. Some nice snowy vocab:

雪だるま ~ ゆきだるま ~ snowman! :snowman_with_snow:
雪片 ~ snowflake :snowman:
雪特尼 ~ シドニー ~ Sydney :joy:

3 Likes

I kinda like how 新雪 is a homonym with 親切.

EDIT: accidental ’reply to’ :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

富士山(ふじさん) looks very wintery to me, the snow covered mountain :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

トナカイ is a great. It’s originally not even a Japanese word, it’s an Ainu word.

3 Likes

牡丹雪
ぼたんゆき
large snowflakes
I love all the different vocabulary for different types of snow. And 牡丹雪 is one of my favorite winter words and types of snow. These are crazy huge snowflakes that are named after Peonies because the snow is big enough to look like peony flower petals fluttering to the ground.

1 Like