Week 5

Start Date: November 20th
Previous Part: Week 4
Next Part: Week 6

Reading:

Week Start Date Chapters covered End Page Kindle LOC Kindle % Page Count
Week 5 Nov 20 13-15 80 ? ? 16

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

I’m still kind of hoping that the wife will turn out to have been running a convoluted scheme of her own, but it’s looking less likely huh.

I’m very excited to finally get a taste of Panorama Island and the weird stuff it may hold though! Even if it’s just the entrance so far…

I can’t confess to have been as staggered and awed and even horrified by underwater walkways as described here, but I’m more than happy to give Ranpo the benefit of the doubt that in (fictional) person the effect was even more pronounced than his descriptions. Especially since I’m definitely among the 陸上の人達 who 実際海中に入ってそれを見た人でなくては、想像出来るものではないのです. So I’ll let Ranpo tell me what’s what.

To 想像出来る a bit more, I wanted to collate pictures of all the marine life vocabulary:

A (spoilery) gallery

腐りただれて穴のあいた顔の様に、気味悪いあなめ

ヌルヌルした肌を戦かせ、無恰好な手足を藻掻く、大蜘蛛の様なえぞわかめ

水底の覇王樹と見えるかじめ

椰子の大樹にも比すべきおおばもく

いやらしい蛔虫かいちゅう伯母おばさんの様なつるも

緑のほのおと燃ゆる青海苔あおのり

みるの大平原

ドス黒い血の色に染まった あまのりくさむら

赤毛の女が髪をふり乱した姿の牛毛海苔

にわとりの足の形の とりのあし

巨大な赤百足むかでかと見ゆる むかでのり

鶏頭けいとうの花壇を海底に沈めたかと疑われる、鮮紅色の とさかのり の一むら

猛悪な形相の猫鮫ねこざめ虎鮫とらざめ

穴子あなご※(「魚+單」、第3水準1-94-52)うつぼの類は毒蛇と見ることが出来ましょう

青白く光った、豊満な菱形の体躯たいくに、旭日旗きょくじつきの線条の様に、太く横ざまに、二刷子ふたはけ、鮮かな黒褐色の縞目、それが電燈に映って、殆ど金色に輝いているのです。妖婦の様に隈取った、大きな目、突き出た脣、そして、背鰭せひれの一本が、戦国時代の武将のかぶとの飾り物に似て、目覚ましく伸びているのです。それが大きく身体からだをうねらせて、ガラス板に近づき、向きを換えて、ガラス板に沿って、それとすれずれに、彼女の目の前に泳ぎ始めた時、彼女は再び感嘆の叫びを上げないではいられませんでした。それがカンヴァスの上の、画家の創作になる図案ではなくて、一匹の生物であることが、彼女にとって驚異だったのです。場所が場所であり、不気味な海草と蒼黒く淀んだ水を背景にして、おぼろなる電燈の光によってそれを眺めたのです。彼女の驚きは、決して誇張ではないのでした。

(I spent ages a while puzzling over 二刷子 here thinking it was maybe a name of a fish, or something else, or what, but I THIIIIIINK that bit is describing the fish’s eye as like, double-lashed or something… maybe, and it’s just an unnamed fish that scares her. Strange how more intensely specific naming the seaweed gets than the fish huh)

雀鯛すずめだいひし鯛、天狗てんぐ鯛、鷹羽たかのは

9 Likes

Wow, thanks for the great gallery! I have to say this whole section went a bit over my head. And it’s waaay tooo looong. But the pictures help a lot!

4 Likes

I also appreciate the gallery! :fish:

3 Likes

In retrospect I probably didn’t need to spoiler mark it so heavily, but at least this way everyone has the opportunity to try to vaguely picture a truly startling number of wet plants on their own without prior influence! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I didn’t know it, but this is what I came here for! :grin:

That last section really wore me out a bit.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call the gallery spoiler material, more like much-needed footnotes.

That being said, I did feel like I was able to get a good mental picture of all the seaweed and fish based on Edogawa’s descriptions, but it did take me FOREVER to get through those last few pages. My confidence in reading Japanese has really taken a hit while reading this book. But my head hasn’t exploded yet…

4 Likes