Week 13: フルーツバスケット ・ Fruits Basket 🍏 🍇 🍑 🍒 🍐 🍊 🧺 [END]

Join the Beginner Book Club Book Club here!

Home Thread: フルーツバスケット ・ Fruits Basket :green_apple: :grapes: :peach: :cherries: :pear: :tangerine: :basket:

Week 13

Fruits Basket 1

Start Date: September 12th
Previous Part: Week 12

Reading:

Week Start Date Chapter Pages (old) Pages (Collector’s) Page Count
Week 13 September 12th Chapter 12 161 - 190 (v2) 367 - 396 30

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

4 Likes

Aw…Hatori :broken_heart: :cry: What a bittersweet chapter to end on, my goodness.

Although I won’t be continuing the series (for now at least), I feel like I definitely came to like it more as I got further into it. Like, I would consider finishing the rest of it in English, but the work-to-reward ratio for the Japanese version is still just a little bit too high for me to want to continue. This was not an easy manga :sweat_smile: Maybe because I didn’t know anything about the story/characters beforehand, it was harder for me to follow at times (it did start to feel a little easier after the first few chapters, though, and it definitely feels easier now than it did at the start). I definitely learned the ないと grammar point from this manga xD I must have googled it like fifty times in the first volume, it was used so much and I kept forgetting what it meant. But now I know

9 Likes

It was around 10 years ago that I got into Fruits Basket as my first ever manga. It’s pretty fitting to be reading it in Japanese now after all this time!

Important thoughts

Akito Sucks.

7 Likes

Pretty much.

Anyway, not much new in this chapter.
It’s basically a first person retelling of what we learned already. I guess the only thing is really Hatori’s sign and how it translates to a real animal. Kinda pun-ish, but it fits pretty well :joy:
Other than that, what are the freaking odds of the conversation he overheard to just happen like that. But let’s not think too much about it.

5 Likes

I think I read or saw somewhere that the seahorse is considered baby dragons in some lore or legend in Japan, so makes more sense to them =P
It does make for an interesting animal to turn into though, and probably the most helpless of them all.

4 Likes

… I mean, that’s literally what the name of the seahorse is in Japanese (竜の落とし子). You don’t need any lore for it to make sense. That’s why I said it was pun-ish.

1 Like

oh, I’m “lazy” with my look ups so I actually missed that :rofl:

Stumbled across this:

Yeah, good luck with that, in 2020! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes