Watch Japan - Watch Random Videos About Japan

Hey guys, for the past couple weeks I’ve been working on a website called Watch Japan that makes it easy to find interesting videos about Japan or for learning Japanese.

http://watchjapan.me/

It was inspired by another website called BrainPump, which shows random science videos.

I’m still working on adding a lot more videos soon. Let me know what you guys think. n__n

Pretty great idea! I really like the simplicity. Also, pretty cool mix of educational stuff and just random Japanese coolness. This is actually turning me on to some pretty cool Youtube channels I didn’t know about.

That being said, does the website track which videos you’ve already seen and take them out of the random pool? I’m sure once the number of videos there gets big enough (although 500 is already a ton) getting repeats could be frustrating. I doubt it will ever be a problem, but I’m just curious.

This is awesome, haha.
Maybe you could add some sort of filter mechanism? Like just show random videos with keywords in them (e.g. koiichi, fake moustache, oppai, etc.)

Andoryu said... Pretty great idea! I really like the simplicity. Also, pretty cool mix of educational stuff and just random Japanese coolness. This is actually turning me on to some pretty cool Youtube channels I didn't know about.

That being said, does the website track which videos you've already seen and take them out of the random pool? I'm sure once the number of videos there gets big enough (although 500 is already a ton) getting repeats could be frustrating. I doubt it will ever be a problem, but I'm just curious.
 Thanks! n__n The website does track what videos you've seen already, as long as you don't clear your cookies =P

rocketlad said... This is awesome, haha.
Maybe you could add some sort of filter mechanism? Like just show random videos with keywords in them (e.g. koiichi, fake moustache, oppai, etc.)
 Thank you! =D The way it's currently setup, a filter may be a little difficult to implement at the moment. However, I was definitely considering something similar to that for the future.

kraftydinosaur said...
Andoryu said... Pretty great idea! I really like the simplicity. Also, pretty cool mix of educational stuff and just random Japanese coolness. This is actually turning me on to some pretty cool Youtube channels I didn't know about.

That being said, does the website track which videos you've already seen and take them out of the random pool? I'm sure once the number of videos there gets big enough (although 500 is already a ton) getting repeats could be frustrating. I doubt it will ever be a problem, but I'm just curious.
 Thanks! n__n The website does track what videos you've seen already, as long as you don't clear your cookies =P

rocketlad said... This is awesome, haha.
 Thank you! =D The way it's currently setup, a filter may be a little difficult to implement at the moment. However, I was definitely considering something similar to that for the future.
 Oh man you've thought of everything haha. By the way, I'm quickly coming to the realization that this website is having a very Reddit/Civilization effect on me. "Just one more video and I'll go back to being productive!" Five videos later and I'm still here >.<

Andoryu said... Oh man you've thought of everything haha. By the way, I'm quickly coming to the realization that this website is having a very Reddit/Civilization effect on me. "Just one more video and I'll go back to being productive!" Five videos later and I'm still here >.<
 Haha, well at least there are some educational ones in there =P

kraftydinosaur said... Haha, well at least there are some educational ones in there =P
 Good point, haha! I can see myself sinking a lot of time here in between review and grammar lessons. Anyways, good website, it's definitely getting added to my favorites.