WaniPlus - Add custom vocabulary words & decks to WaniKani

What is WaniPlus?

A lightweight browser extension that allows users to easily create, share, and import decks directly to WaniKani.

Current features

• With the single click of a button, you can install a new deck full of items to WaniKani.
  • Import items to your deck from an existing file.
  • “Kana-only” vocabulary; these items appear as orange in reviews & lessons.
  • You can choose your deck’s leveling system, whether you want to use the user’s WaniKani level or an internal deck level (user starts at Level 1 and progresses the deck normally).
  • Uses native WaniKani SRS.
  • Compatible with Reorder Omega.
  • Decks will automatically stay up to date.

Install WaniPlus

Simply install WaniPlus from the Chrome store.

Once installed, you can go to any deck’s preview page and you will now see an “Install” button. Just click install and you’re all set!

A basic list of public decks can be found here.

More Screenshots

(I realize now my example of a kana-only vocab ironically contains no kana)

F.A.Q.

Can I import existing data?

You can use the import feature on the website to import existing data (.csv files) to WaniPlus.

Do I need an account to use WaniPlus?

No! An account is only necessary if you wish to create new decks, or save your SRS data to the cloud and across devices. Otherwise, you can use all WaniPlus features freely with no registration necessary.

What happens when I uninstall a deck?

The deck is removed from WaniKani, HOWEVER, your SRS information will be preserved. So if you decide to reinstall the deck, you will still have your progress.

WaniPlus isn't compatible with . . .

If there is a userscript that you find that isn't compatible with WaniPlus, let me know!
19 Likes

This looks pretty impressive! I’m especially looking forward to having the option of kana-only vocab. A couple of questions though:

• Most importantly, is there any way / any plan for a way to export/download a deck? (as a JSON, TXT, or whatever format works best)
  • Are you going to charge for it at any point or will it remain free? Just slightly concerned about that as you require an online account to create and modify decks :slight_smile:
  • Does the item load order affect only reviews? Or also lessons?
2 Likes

Yeah, I am currently on vacation for the next few days but I will definitely be adding a feature to quickly export. I’d probably just support JSON and CSV for now.

No haha, no part or feature of this project will ever be monetized. Accounts are necessary in order to identify an owner of a deck, otherwise it would be impossible to easily share.

The load order should affect both lessons and reviews. There was a bug, but if you have the latest version it is already fixed.

1 Like

So, still not sure how this exactly is supposed to work. Some points I think I understand and what this could mean. Sort of a wishlist :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Without caring about feasability. Please check my assumptions.

• A user will be able to create a deck containing Wanikani objects (rad, kanji, vocab)
  • These objects can be assigned to a Wankikani level (1-60). Clever idea. Never came to my mind.
  • After installation these objects appear in my Wankani session like other objects added by Wanikani itself.
  • Which also means that Wanikani saves their state after a session and I can add meaning and reading comments like I do it for native objects. Which could imply that they are stored by Wanikani.
  • And in case I’m unhappy with my additions I can uninstall the deck.

Thanks for the reply! All of your assumptions are correct, except

On the surface it seems that way, but technically WaniKani cannot save the custom item information because the items don’t actually exist.

So WaniPlus handles all of that itself, simulating and storing the custom items and data.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or further questions!

1 Like

Especially regarding sharing, ability to selectively suspend / bury would be important.

What about adding vocabularies? Would it automatically look up in a dictionary? (Online: jotoba.de / Jisho unofficial API; Offline: JMdict / edict / KANJIDIC)

1 Like

As for WaniPlus not working, no error can be seen. I only enable one of the more-than-Wanikani extensions at a time.

Extensions

Console in service worker only says, “quick loaded”.

I added an example deck from the website in advance, but not signed in.

2 Likes

Thank you for this! Super helpful. I was not getting a similar issue while testing, I will try with a clean install.

Stupid question but just to be clear, did you have a deck installed when testing?

Thanks!

I added “Chapter 1 Vocab”, and don’t know what to expect (Review? Lesson?) But I really see no increase of 7 items.

Tested on Brave Browser previously; and right now on Google Chrome.

1 Like

I am not at all familiar with extensions and how they work, but this sounds great! Thank you for creating this.

For the non-technical people among us (or maybe I’m the only one?), does it matter what I use for doing my reviews/lessons to be able to use this extension? Currently I use a third party application on my phone instead of the Wanikani home page.

I would love to use the extension, I think it will help me get much more out of reading practice, definately want to give it a try!

1 Like

If it’s Android, I can install on Kiwi browser as well, but it isn’t optimized for mobile, and a part of dialog falls off screen.

Otherwise, it doesn’t change Wanikani at all for me currently, just like desktop.

2 Likes

I’m finally back from vacation, and I was able to put some time into releasing an update. This is mainly a stability update.

Now available: Version 1.0.3

• Fixed some issues with WaniPlus causing the extension to not work properly. The extension should be stable now.
  • Some small improvements to the layout of Kana-vocab items in lessons & reviews.
  • Fixed issue on the website where if you created a private deck, there was no option to install it.
  • The default load order of items has been changed to “front.”
  • Some changes to the website to be a bit more mobile-friendly, although this is still a work in progress.

Let me know if you have any suggestions or feedback! I am trying to make this as user-friendly as possible, so if there is anything I can do to make creating or modifying a deck easier, please let me know. Especially with the item editor!

I’m shifting my focus now to importing items from existing sources through the web interface.

@monlitt WaniPlus is only available for devices that support Chrome extensions. It seems, as suggested by polv, that Kiwi browser is an option for mobile users.

@polv Hopefully things are stable now.

1 Like

It works, but pretty buggy.

But I can click to start lesson, anyway.

1 Like

Yeah, right now the extension does not address those areas. I have been so narrowly focused on the lessons & reviews page that I’ve kind of forgot about the homepage.

I will make sure the next update addresses these issues. Should have it out soon, maybe a day or two max.

Thank you!

edit: this is in the latest version now

Some progress has been made in regards to the dashboard screen. I have not yet pushed the update as it’s still a work in progress, but here’s what I got so far.

For each deck you have installed, your progress will be shown. The items are ordered by level, and will also indicate locked items (your WaniKani level is not high enough).

Only thing I need to do now I think is make them link to either their respective WaniPlus page.

1 Like

If you can add this list, you are a god.

I could, but it’s @polv’s work so I’d need their permission.

I don’t mind.

I really forgot vocabularies inside the Google Spreadsheet, though.

As a matter of fact, I now concern more about Kanji thought to learned from Wanikani, but some useful readings not covered. I don’t mind giving out CoreNai too.

1 Like

It’s OK to make that a public custom deck.

1 Like

I realized, it was basically impossible to add polv’s Kanji Beyond deck without some changes. As of right now, only your WaniKani level can be used to progress in custom decks. This is fairly limited.

So now, you can choose between two types of “leveling” systems for your custom deck.

WaniKani: The user’s WaniKani level is used to determine if an item is unlocked at a given level.

Internal Deck Level: This is a level that is tracked within a custom deck. So regardless of the user’s WaniKani level, the levels you set for items must be naturally worked through.

e.g.: The user installs your deck and they start at Level 1 regardless of their WaniKani level.

Now that I have this, I can work on importing your deck @polv @haxzor143 .

By the time I have it imported, the new version will probably be live.