Wanikanify - A Google Chrome Extension

viet said... Not to derail the awesomeness of this tool, but it gave me an idea for a not-so-what similar extension...

How about an extension that would lightly highlight Japanese vocabulary (learned from WaniKani) on any webpage.. Like on a Japanese website per se. It gives a visual on how much you've progressed on your WaniKani studies. Kind of cool to see how the vocabulary learned on the WaniKani is used out in the wild.

If someone can figure out how to parse it, it would be fun to see what percentage of the kanji on the page you know too.
How about replacing english words on Wanikani that we learned with japanese ones for starters?

For example the Bold button in the message interface would instead say å¤Ŗ字

Absolutely fantastic!! I was expecting stuff like this coming out in some time, but two days after API release. I simply have to go with Spirekā€™s ā€œbrilliantā€ applaud here. Thanks a million!!

@Satoshi OPā€™s plug in does just thatā€¦

1 Like
viet said... @Satoshi OP's plug in does just that...
It replaces everything? That's great, I thought it was just plain text, not buttons and menus and stuff like that. I think I'm gonna try it out. 

Beautiful!Ā 

Awesome! Ā Knowing that itā€™s not going to understand context (i.e. it wonā€™t be 100% accurate), itā€™s still a great way to practice kanji between review sessions.

Using it now and rated it. Youā€™re awesome :slight_smile:

Hello again!

Thanks again for all the feedback.

I had some time this evening to add a couple of requested features.

• I improved the search and replace. I was missing a lot of text, but this is fixed :smiley:
  • There is an option to run the script automatically. Go to the options page and hit ā€œAutomaticallyā€ to have the script run on every page without a click.
  • You can now click kanji to have it changed back to the original word.
Please continue with the feedback and Iā€™ll add more features as they are requested.

Here is the link:Ā https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/wanikanify/dbnpfdbkecfgaffopefhalliecehhkhjĀ 

Or, if youā€™ve already downloaded it:

chrome://chrome/extensions/

and hit ā€œUpdate Extensions Nowā€

This is seriously a very powerfull tool for remembering the kanji even better. Thanks!!

But Iā€™ve noticed that numbers doesnā€™t translate, only the words of numbers.
Ex: 1, 2, 3 does not translate to kanji, but ā€œone, two, threeā€ does. It would be nice if numbers also wanikanified. ;P)

@chedkid Iā€™m on a MacBook Pro running osX 10.8.2 . My Chrome version isĀ 20.0.1132.47

@enochroot505 Thanks a lot for the suggestions. My problem is not that it keeps checking; as soon as I clic on ā€œadd to Chromeā€ the error message pops up and it suggests me to reload the page and try again. I still check my download path and made sure I was logged into my google account. Unfortunately, it didnā€™t solve the problem.
Itā€™s actually quite weird because now I canā€™t see any thumbnail picture of any extension in the storeā€¦ O.oĀ 
Edit: I also installed a few other extensions and apps to see if the problem was only with Wanikanify and it seems that it isā€¦
Edit 2: I did some more googling of the problem and it seems that some people had a similar problem in the past and it turned out it was related to their IPā€¦ Although, these people couldnā€™t install anything at all from the chrome web store.Ā 

this will be so much fun

edit: ā€œPostedĀ < 1Ā åˆ†Ā agoā€Ā 
hehe!

I am having the same issue as Jdduq. Ā :( Ā Iā€™m so bummed! Ā 

I use ubuntu 11.1
not sure what version chrome it is. Ā (where does it say?)

EDIT:
It works in Windows! Ā (but i hate windows so thatā€™s no good lol)

EDIT:
ok found it
18.0.1025.168 (Developer Build 134367 Linux) Ubuntu 11.10

EDIT: (last time!)
I figured out how to update my chrome (nothing is easy in linux haha) and now it works. Ā :D Ā And itā€™s also awesome BTW. Ā Sometimes it makes me laugh when itā€™s not 100% accurate. Ā I also had to wonder why it chose 午前 instead of ꜝ for ā€œmorningā€Ā 

viet said... Not to derail the awesomeness of this tool, but it gave me an idea for a not-so-what similar extension...

How about an extension that would lightly highlight Japanese vocabulary (learned from WaniKani) on any webpage.. Like on a Japanese website per se. It gives a visual on how much you've progressed on your WaniKani studies. Kind of cool to see how the vocabulary learned on the WaniKani is used out in the wild.

If someone can figure out how to parse it, it would be fun to see what percentage of the kanji on the page you know too.
 It reminds me of Vocabulary Highlighter, a firefox add-on. You can add your vocabulary, and it highlights it on any webpage.
It's a real hazzle to fill in all your vocabulary, but there is an import/export-option. Would be nice, if someone could build an API for it. (Or make something similar)

This plugin is absolutely brilliant - I just love that itā€™s totally tailored to each individual too, and encourages you to learn more vocab on WK so that you can see more vocab using the extension.

ā˜…ā˜…ā˜…ā˜…ā˜… + reviewed

I just love how no matter what Iā€™m doing Iā€™m now able to study my vocab. You bring a happy tear to my eye Chedkid.

1 Like

Or maybe something that just did kanji? Unless there was a way to deal with conjugations and such, which there may be, but if it was just kanji it would give you an idea of what you should be able to read, etc, and then not have the issue with vocab conjugations, weird internet grammars, and so on.
1 Like
koichi said...

Or maybe something that just did kanji? Unless there was a way to deal with conjugations and such, which there may be, but if it was just kanji it would give you an idea of what you should be able to read, etc, and then not have the issue with vocab conjugations, weird internet grammars, and so on.
Grab the vocab from the API,  strip the hiragana/katakana, make an array and apply some unique! method, and order it by descending character count.. then highlight vocabulary that way (ignoring anything that has already been "highlighted"). This would be my first attempt of doing it... Highlighting a group of kanji is more useful than highlighting individual kanji imho, especially for visual appearance.

Hey you guys should do a shamless self-promotion artile on Textfugu to review everything everyone has done so far.

This was really a great idea! The fact that the kanji are out of context is a bit annoying, but I still love it!
Also, I have three small improvements for you to implement if you think they deserve it:

- If the user hasnā€™t set its public key, clicking the crabigator should open the options window. This will help users that donā€™t read the instructions and just start mashing the buttonĀ Ā (like I did xD)Ā to understand why the extension isnā€™t working.

- Add the option of only showing kanji if itā€™s not yet at level Guru/Master/Enlightened/Burned. I havenā€™t had a problem with not having this option yet, but if/when I get to level 20 or more, Iā€™m guessing Iā€™ll have too many kanji in my page, most of them out of context, for me to understand anything in the page at all! I think this is useful for kanji youā€™re starting to learn (Apprentice/Guru), but if it replaces everything the kanji you already know perfectly will just be in the way. As an example, I looked at Moguriā€™s stats, and this would mean the difference between him havingĀ about 650 kanji being replaced, or more than 2800 (and even if he wanted them all, he could always disable the option or not even enable it)!

- If wanikanify is active, i.e. if I already clicked the crabigatorĀ it to activate it, or itā€™s automatic, clicking the crabigator should disable wanikanify for that page. In other words, if clicking the crabigator wanikanifies a page, clicking it again should de-wanikanify it. This would make it more useful for me at work where I want it to be activated by default but be able to disable it fast if I need to show a page to someoneā€¦

Again, congratulations and thanks forĀ the extension!

P.S: The extension is not open source, is it? As a fellow programmer, maybe I could provide you with patches instead of just suggestions! xD

Hi.

Thank you all for using this! I deeply appreciate the feedback.

@fvieira: I can put this on my github account. It was put together relatively quickly, so I would enjoy some patches. Regarding your suggestions:
Ā - RTFM! Just kidding. This is a useful idea. Iā€™ll add it to the TODO list.
Ā - This is also a nice idea. I had a similar thought where you can specify a percentage of the page you wanted ā€œkanjifiedā€ to specifically avoid too much kanji on a page. Yours is a much better idea.
Ā - Yep. Good call.Ā 

I have quite a bit going on this week, but hopefully Iā€™ll have some time to work on this on Friday or over the weekend.

Ok, if you do put it on github, please tell me your username there or give me a link to the project. I never made a browser extension but it canā€™t be that hard to tweak one. xD