Wanikanify - A Google Chrome Extension

Great extension, though I don’t have any Vocab atm (hopefully soon :stuck_out_tongue: ), I peaked at my girlfriends side and it works great.

A few suggestions:

1. with “click” mode on, you click to wanikanify the page yes but you need to refresh the page to turn it back to normal so how about clicking the button a second time to un-wanikanify the page
2. With “Automatically” option set, how about an option to un-wanikanify a word at a time (maybe clicking the vocab on the page? So it does it one at a time) to check what the original word is

Besides that, great tool.

Also @Viet that idea above (the highlighting vocab you’ve learned on actual JP websites) sounds like a great idea for an extension and would be greatly beneficial I think.

That is SO FREAKIN COOL!! Arigatou gozaimasu!

duuj2391 said... This is awesome!

It's making me read random Wikipedia articles, just so that I can try to read them =P.

Edit: suggestions (if possible)
- Can't get rid of the kanji unless you refresh. Maybe there should be a way to clear them one-by-one as you read, to see if you're correct or not.
- Or maybe mouse-over could reveal what the word meaning is?
- Maybe, instead of me voluntarily choosing to Wanikanify my pages, the extension should surprise me every some time or so.
 I don't know if anybody else has suggested this, but rikaikun is perfect for figuring out if you got them wrong or not one-by-one. You just hover over them! :)

Testing, testing: up, down, big, small, dog, soil, sun, moon.

evolutionxbox said... Testing, testing: 上, 下, 大きい, 細かい, 犬, 土, 太陽, 月.
 lol, it worked!
1 Like

This is awesome as! I love reading websites and remembering random kanji/vocab… can see this helping a lot!

Testing, testing: 上, 下, 大きい, small, dog, soil, 日, 月.

Testing, testing: 上, 下, 大きい, 細かい, 犬, 土, 太陽, 月.

Haha! Funny what different levels shows you differently… this plugin actually evolves as you learn! Awesome!

This is awesome! I love it!!

And I also second the “mouse-over English meaning” idea. Like when you translate a webpage in Google Translator. :slight_smile:

BUG ALERT!

I used this plugin, and when I search a term in the address bar, google.com kept refreshing… I had to turn the plugin to click only. =(
Maybe there could be a way to add exceptions to the plugin’s options?

Love it!

Genius idea :slight_smile:

this is fantastic!! I spend all day on the computer and find it hard to integrate my japanese into my general browsing! this way I can do my job and learn kanji!!

If you use Rikaikun for Chrome, you can mouse over words to see if you got them correct. :slight_smile:  
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/rikaikun/jipdnfibhldikgcjhfnomkfpcebammhp

This is an awesome app!  Thanks!

Just a little something that I know will probably be quite hard, but
perhaps you could try doing something like displaying multiple words if
available as “translations”. For example, here in wanikani there’s two
“time” vocab, 時 and 時間, but as far as I’ve noticed, your extension will always trade “time” for 時 , which means I will never see 時間, using it.

Another example I’ve run by is with the word “letter”. There’s letter as in “character” (字、 文字), and there’s “a letter” (手紙), it took me a while to realize a word “wanikinified” as 文字 actually was 手紙, but that would’ve been easy to notice if there was a way to make also 手紙 appear (a hovering pop-up, maybe?).  So, if there’s “letter”, it would translate as 文字 as it’s doing right now, but also display these other words that share the meaning “letter”.

@AdvancedWind

I have two ideas on how your problem could be solved which might be easier to implement than a hovering pop-up.
First one is having all meanings appear at once, separated either by a slash ( / ) or other separator. Applying this to your example meant that the word letter would appear like this: 文字/手紙.
The other idea is to have the vocab that appears be chosen at random. This is better than the above suggestion in that it avoids cluttering when a word has too many translations, and still solves the problem where some translations never appear. Still, it fails at solving the problem you mentioned where you couldn’t realize why 
文字 was being used since you still can’t check the other translations.

I just had a third idea which might be a bit harder to implement which is to behaviour of clicking over a wanikanified word. Instead of it just translating the word back to english, it could cicle through all meanings, thus avoiding the cluttering and still allowing all translations to be checked. Also, this just gave me an idea for a game which could be called “choose the right kanji for this context” which I wish someone invented… xD

What do you think of these ideas?

I think it uninstalled itself. Huh?

Hi folks,

Just a midweek status: I’ve implemented most of the feature you guys have requested:

• Clicking the Crabigator toggles Japanese and English. 
  • Added SRS filters. Pick which SRS categories you want to substitue
  • Improved searching
  • Fix refresh loop problem with Google and other related sites
  • Clicking a kanji will switch the word to English, and clicking that english word will switch it back to Japanese
  • Hovering your mouse over the kanji will show the english in a small popup, and vice-versa.
  • It should be faster.
Known issues:
  • There are some style clashes. The extension injects a <span> element into the DOM of the page. If there is a CSS rule for span, it will be applied to the element. This breaks the visual aspect of some sites (only one I’ve seen so far, which, funny enough, is WaniKani). 
Todo:
  • Add a notifier if the user has not provided an API key.
@AdvancedWind/@fvieira: Thank you for your thoughts. I don’t like the / idea. Too much clutter. The cycle idea is one I thought of, and I have an idea for implementing it. It will take some time (I’m not a front end developer) so probably won’t make the next release unless I’m feeling zealous .

If there are any other basic features you guys would like before the next release, please let me know!

fvieira said...Also, I have three small improvements for you to implement if you think they deserve it:

- If the user hasn't set its public key, clicking the crabigator should open the options window. This will help users that don't read the instructions and just start mashing the button  (like I did xD) to understand why the extension isn't working.

- Add the option of only showing kanji if it's not yet at level Guru/Master/Enlightened/Burned. I haven't had a problem with not having this option yet, but if/when I get to level 20 or more, I'm guessing I'll have too many kanji in my page, most of them out of context, for me to understand anything in the page at all! I think this is useful for kanji you're starting to learn (Apprentice/Guru), but if it replaces everything the kanji you already know perfectly will just be in the way. As an example, I looked at Moguri's stats, and this would mean the difference between him having about 650 kanji being replaced, or more than 2800 (and even if he wanted them all, he could always disable the option or not even enable it)!

- If wanikanify is active, i.e. if I already clicked the crabigator it to activate it, or it's automatic, clicking the crabigator should disable wanikanify for that page. In other words, if clicking the crabigator wanikanifies a page, clicking it again should de-wanikanify it. This would make it more useful for me at work where I want it to be activated by default but be able to disable it fast if I need to show a page to someone...

Hi chedkid. Today I was in the mood to code, so I thought of improving your extension. Since you hadn't put it on github I remembered that I could get to the extension source code by going to where Chrome installed it, and so I found it. After playing with it for three hours I finally managed to implement the three ideas I had mentioned before (those quoted above). Since you haven't officially released the code as open source, I won't release my code yet, but if you make it open source on github I can send you the patches.
As a disclaimer, I've never created a browser extension before, and I haven't worked much with Javascript, and most of it was using JQuery. Also, I haven't really lost much time tidying the code, so don't be surprised that the code isn't the best code you've ever seen, although it isn't that bad. At least it works (I hope).
Please tell me how and when do you want me to send you the patches so that everyone can use these improvements.

EDIT: As fun as coding these features was, I now feel a little stupid for doing it since you did them too and posted the annoucement 4 minutes before me... xD

@chedkid
When will you update the version in the Chrome Store? I’m curious to compare how you coded those features compared to me…

Hopefully by Friday.

If you’d like I can send you what I’m working on. Sorry I haven’t put this on github yet. Email me: [my user name]@gmail.com

Really wanted to try this out, but after Chrome downloads the file nothing happens?
Tried re-starting my PC, but still enountered the same problem :frowning:

Is there some solution for this?

spiel said... Really wanted to try this out, but after Chrome downloads the file nothing happens?
Tried re-starting my PC, but still enountered the same problem :(

Is there some solution for this?
 Having this same problem :( was really looking forward to this.
I hope this can get fixed soon. I tried all sorts of things, including making sure my browser was up to date and what not