WaniKani, you should change this feature

The other day, the word 実験 came up in my reviews. I entered the usual response, which WK usually accepts. But that time, it was considered wrong. What happened?
WK’s base replies are in English. But like many non English-native users, I prefer to reply in my mother language. Fortunately, the Crabigator allows us to enter a large number of synonyms. For this word, the English reply would be experiment, which in French translates to expérience. But inputting accents is a hassle on my phone, so I just added experience as a synonym.
Which was fine until like a month ago, when WK decided to explicitly forbid experience as a reply.
I understand why WK did that: there’s a difference between experience and experiment in English. But the point of the user synonym list is to let the user have the last word. The thing is, you just don’t know what language a user is going to use, and your forbidden word in English might very well be the only correct word in the user’s language.
If a user adds a synonym, it should take precedence over the forbidden list.

15 Likes

Suppose I mistakenly believe that some kanji means something that wk has on the forbidden list, because they know it does not mean that.

In that case, I want wanikani to refuse to accept my synonym.

I am a learner, wk is my teacher. Teachers always, rightly, get the last word.

2 Likes

WK isn’t and shouldn’t be a teacher, it’s a tool.

Also teachers don’t always know best, and don’t always rightly get the last word.

14 Likes

Should not impact you (or me) as what the original poster is suggesting is that a user supplied synonym (which only applies to that user) should take precedence over the WK blacklist.

Of course, what this would allow is for a user to override a blacklist item. But if someone wants to do that, that should be on them.

3 Likes

Mmm, ideally the system should prompt the user to check whether they really want to override the blacklist, but still permit that for cases like the one the OP has.

9 Likes

Great idea.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree.

Beyond that I’ve set my meanings to “Anki mode” at like level 10 and never looked back. From time to time I do my reviews without it and I genuinely do not understand how anybody can bear it.

I also find it actually better in the long run because often I’ll see the word in Japanese and know what it means but I can’t immediately think of the English translation, which is a good thing. Speeds up my reviews a lot too.

5 Likes

Maybe I need to try this anki mode too, because I keep struggling with this exact issue a lot myself. Most of the time the synonyms I run through are all things that would be correct according to most other sources or translations. Even if I’ve added my own additional synonyms, I still end up stumbling the more familiarity I have with some words.

3 Likes

Looking back, typing the answers for the English is kind of silly. Like I’m going to have to review this item again because I misspelled it or got the answer wrong even though the nuance or idea was correct.

1 Like