WaniKani User Deletion

I had the same question, and that’s scary!!!

I think I just need to stay away from the danger zone…

1 Like

Most exciting thing is about 50% fewer support emails yayyyy

10 Likes

That’s why we called it that! :thumbsup:

3 Likes

Hahaha at first I was like “not again” and then I kept reading and was like “yes we should do this.”

12 Likes

And they call me strange because I want a “double or nothing” button on ATMs…

13 Likes

Now you just need a form for submitting suggestions/corrections for items. That should take out a lot of support emails I would think. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But the form would likely generate a support ticket.
It still has to be dealt with, it’s just now in a different box… the work remains the same.

Actually scary now if your account gets compromised and deleted lol.

1 Like

I, Slum King.

3 Likes

I can’t even imagine why someone would want to remove their account. Like, you can just not log in and pretend you never heard of WaniKani? Wouldn’t that be enough?

tl;dr

Wanikani Seppuku!

5 Likes

… that’s true…

Before the worst that could happen is someone does some reviews for me or posts something I wouldn’t say…

… But now…

2 Likes

This worries me because now it makes an account hack way more devastating. :confused:

Is there a plan to add two-factor authentication?

edit: also, are there protections for those who bought lifetime? I never want to lose that somehow. Twas pricey.

2 Likes

Someone needs access to your email to confirm the deletion. Secure your email and you’ll be fine.

The process is this:

1. Start account deletion in Danger Zone (WK end)
  2. An email gets sent to the email address on record with a confirmation link (contains a unique, time sensitive token we check against). The user needs to click the confirmation link within a short time period for the actual deletion process to happen.
1 Like

Ahh, ok, that sounds better… hopefully my laptop never gets stolen XD

1 Like

While I’m personally unconcerned, if someone can hack your account, they can likely sign into your email as well.

If you aren’t planning to add any kind, I’d suggest folks use an email that has two factor authentication like Gmail.

My Gmail doesn’t have that… Just one password and bam! You’re in.

It’s something you have to specifically set up. I’m sure it’s in privacy settings, but I don’t have it set up personally, so idk. I just know my boyfriend does and Gmail has asked me if I wanted it.

You bring up a good point. I think we’ll add an extra step in the flow where the user has to add their credentials in again when they click on the confirmation link. This should take care of the case where someone has access to your device.

4 Likes

Or you could have a mandatory wait period like some sites?

(Like I said, doesn’t bother me, just suggestions)