Wanikani style input in Anki?

Hello I have been wanting to study some vocab on my own with anki for while but am not a fan of the flash card setup and want to just enter the text like in Wanikani with my American keyboard. I think you can get it to work with the Japanese keyboard but I would like to be able to type things out in romaji and have it automatically change to Japanese since I am not very used to using the Japanese keyboard at all. I apologize if this has been answered or explained somewhere else on this forum.
-Thanks

2 Likes

You can try Kitsun or Torii and see if it fits your needs

Torii: https://community.wanikani.com/t/torii-srs-learning-application-for-vocabulary/31295?u=sorar

Kitsun: https://community.wanikani.com/t/kitsunio-exports-reimports-card-feedback-system-now-implemented-open-beta-web-based-srs-learning-platform/30954?u=sorar

1 Like

You can definitely do this in Anki, but I have no idea how. Just wait a bit and I’m sure someone who knows how will show up to explain it. Or try out Kitsun. It’s pretty nice. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My Anki decks are set up so I can type in my answers. Works well on a pc and iOS devices. It does not work on Anki Web. When I get home I can post instructions for setting it up. I’ll be out for a few more hours.

I do have a question, though. What do you mean by Japanese keyboard? On computers I type Japanese with a US keyboard and Google’s IME with no trouble. Works fine in Anki. Or do you mean a Japanese keyboard on a phone?

1 Like

They mean typing kokoro and it showing こころ.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s what he means when he says Japanese keyboard here:

This sounds like his Japanese keyboard does not convert romaji into Kana/Kanji, and I don’t want to make assumptions about what he is using.

I’m asking because my solution in Anki will not handle the conversion on its own. He would have to use an IME on a computer, or a Japanese keyboard on iOS. So, it may not be helpful to him depending on what he’s means by Japanese keyboard.

I assume you can add an input field to anki cards, but u still have to add the specific Japanese software/code thing to make it convert.

Looks like I didn’t get my edit in before your response.

1 Like

Yeah, I think any flashcard system that converts romaji to japanese text uses an open-source thing from Tofugu (company that owns Wanikani). Idk how to install it or use it :man_shrugging: I use Kitsun over Anki and I believe they use it, but idk much about this.

Tagging @hinekidori because he can help OP.

1 Like

Hey! I use the Google keyboard on my phone, if you are using anki on Android that could be a good option? There is a gwerty option too.

I use Windows 10 and I am referring to the icon on the lower left of my screen that says Japanese with Microsoft IME below it, I get confused by the Kanji selection and was asking to only type things in Romaji and convert it to hiragana.

1 Like

Since @jprspereira tagged me I will throw in my two cents. :laughing:

If your interested you can look into some of the Anki work I have posted in the forums that may help.

I have a small collection of tutorials that can get you started -

[Anki] Tutorials

As well as a collection of decks -

[ Some Supplemental Material ]

The best example probably being my modified version of the 10k -

[ Complete 10k ]

Specifically in regards to your questions about a prebuilt IME, it can certainly be done. My decks include a script created by Viet [ WanaKana ] that works great for this.

Currently I have found the answer to the problems you have by using Kitsun.io instead of Anki. It gives an easier experience with a lot of prebuilt features that just makes the flashcard quality of life so much better for me. You could give that a shot as well if you like.

4 Likes

Sorry, just got home.

Since you are already using an IME and that isn’t working for you, this probably will not help. I’ll post anyway since it is pretty simple and has made such a huge difference for me.

Open your card template or create a new one.

Remove {{Back}} from the Back Template, and put {{Front}} and {{type:Back}} with appropriate formatting on the Front Template. You can ignore my {{AnswerType}} custom field.

When you create decks with this template you can type the answers instead of just displaying them.

Sorry for the horrible Windows fonts.

4 Likes

Cool thanks I will keep this in mind while moving forward.

1 Like

Thank you so much! :grin:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.