WaniKani Notifer for OS X

Hey lovely WaniKani Community!

I invested some of my sleeping time for this little project: WaniKani Notifier for OS X.

Wanikani Notifer for OS X 1.1
WaniKani Notifier is an App that lives in your status bar in the upper right corner.
Every time a new Review is available it will notifier you with the wonderful voice of Kouichi. 

Requirements:
- Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 
- Awesomeness

Download newest Version (1.1.0): http://cl.ly/LYBQ

Download older Versions: 
Version 1.0.1: http://cl.ly/LSJe

I am not finished and there is a large ToDo-List for this App. If you have any ideas or bug reports please post them here or on Github (https://github.com/WaniKani/OS-X-Notification  ; Feel free to develop with me!).

How do I use WaniKani Notifier?
First of all you have to click on the little Alicrab in your status bar in the upper right corner. Now enter your API Key, you can find it under your user settings here.
Now wait for the WaniKani Notifier to yell at you. (The WaniKani Notifier checks your review count every 5 Minutes).

I can’t open WaniKani Notifer.
The WaniKani Notifier is not signed with an Developer ID (I’m a student and don’t have the money to pay 99$ a year for just code-signing free Apps.) . Maybe the Gatekeeper is not allowing you to open WaniKani Notifier.  Hold ctrl key, choose ‘open’, then ‘OK’ or deactivate it under System Preferences -> General -> Allow Applications downloaded from -> Anywhere. 

Changelog:
*Added new Tab Preference Menu
*Added new API Checking Routine
*Added Advanced User Settings
*Added User Tab with some User Information (more will come soon!)
*Added some more Awesomeness.

*fixed NSUserDefaults Crash

Screenshots:

ToDo List:
- Add Lessons Notification (!)
- Add a Update Infrastructure (!)

Known Issues:
- None

Thanks to
Koichi - for the awesome “Review Time” sound and of course Wanikani!
Viet - for the awesome API
Ratticon - for the beautiful status bar icon.

Sincerely,
Your cuddly 
Noha

List of API and Third-Party Apps

// PLACEHOLDER //

Many thanks for your great work. I’ve waited a long time for something like that (using Firefox, not Chrome).

I just tried to start the app, but the little Allicrab shows for 2 seconds in the status bar and then disappears.
I’ve already tried System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General -> Allow Applications downloaded from “Anywhere”.

Any suggestions? I’m using OS X 10.8.2

r0pe said... Many thanks for your great work. I've waited a long time for something like that (using Firefox, not Chrome).

I just tried to start the app, but the little Allicrab shows for 2 seconds in the status bar and then disappears.
I've already tried System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General -> Allow Applications downloaded from "Anywhere".

Any suggestions? I'm using OS X 10.8.2
 Samething here ! with OS X 10.8.2

r0pe said... Many thanks for your great work. I've waited a long time for something like that (using Firefox, not Chrome).

I've already tried System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General -> Allow Applications downloaded from "Anywhere".

Any suggestions? I'm using OS X 10.8.2
Can you open "Console" in your Application/Utilities Folder and look after some Wanikani Notifier mentions? 
I'm really really sorry, I tried it on 2 Macbooks with 10.8.2. I hope I can fix it quickly. 

I could reproduce the crash and fixed it. Please download 1.0.1: http://cl.ly/LSJe

Edit: Thanks. I’ll try it.

It looks like 1.0.1 is working (1.0 was not). I’m a couple hours away from any reviews. Hopefully all goes well. Thanks!

sclassen said... It looks like 1.0.1 is working (1.0 was not). I'm a couple hours away from any reviews. Hopefully all goes well. Thanks!
 It should! I made a very stupid mistake in 1.0. Hope everything will be fine now and you can hear koichi's beautiful voice! :)

Works great, thank you :slight_smile:

Review Time !

Noha said... I can't open WaniKani Notifer.
The WaniKani Notifier is not signed with an Developer ID (I'm a student and don't have the money to pay 99$ a year for just code-signing free Apps.) . Maybe the Gatekeeper is not allowing you to open WaniKani Notifier. Deactivate it under System Preferences -> General -> Allow Applications downloaded from -> Anywhere. 
 An easier way would be to hold ctrl key, choose 'open', then 'OK'. This way you make the Gatekeeper less redundant.

Anyway, thanks! 22 more minutes till my first "review time!"

You are a wonderful human. My Mac now has crabs.

raito789 said...
Noha said... I can't open WaniKani Notifer.
The WaniKani Notifier is not signed with an Developer ID (I'm a student and don't have the money to pay 99$ a year for just code-signing free Apps.) . Maybe the Gatekeeper is not allowing you to open WaniKani Notifier. Deactivate it under System Preferences -> General -> Allow Applications downloaded from -> Anywhere. 
 An easier way would be to hold ctrl key, choose 'open', then 'OK'. This way you make the Gatekeeper less redundant.

Anyway, thanks! 22 more minutes till my first "review time!"
Nice tip. I will edit the first post!

jrt said... You are a wonderful human. My Mac now has crabs.
 I'm happy that everything is working fine. I hope I can update all the other features by the end of the year!

Here is a fun little trick for maximum ‘Review Time!’ effectiveness. Requires an Airplay device and obnoxiously loud sound system.

1. Set your Mac’s Audio Output to the Airplay device connected to your obnoxiously loud sound system.
2. Wait for ‘Review Time’.
3. Now everyone within a mile knows you gots shit to do.

Any way to get it to work on 10.7.x?

kevina said... Any way to get it to work on 10.7.x?
WaniKani Notifier uses the Notification Center which was introduced with 10.8 Mountain Lion.
So sadly there is no way to get that backward compatible without writing a new App using some third party notification api.
But I think it's worth updating to Mountain Lion! :P

EDIT: I'm looking into my Safari Extension again, maybe I get that working for you! 

Hah! I love that you included wanikani style in your notifier.

This is awesome!

I don’t know if it’s by design or not, but the fact that it reminds me I have reviews every ten minutes or so is simultaneously irritating and but also makes me do my reviews :stuck_out_tongue:

Mordoc said... Hah! I love that you included wanikani style in your notifier.
 I do not love >: |

At least it's not ponies.

koichi said... This is awesome!

I don't know if it's by design or not, but the fact that it reminds me I have reviews every ten minutes or so is simultaneously irritating and but also makes me do my reviews :p
 Perhaps compare the new value with the old cached one... If it is the same, no need to launch the notification. If it is, update and run it? Or, maybe just not run the notification if the previous and new values are > 0.