WaniKani Notifer for OS X

I am working on WaniKani Notifier 1.1 with a new way of checking for new Reviews (I defeated the NSDate UTC Monster!) and some additional Options. 
I have also added some cool new indicator bars (I don’t know why, yet :P). I have some ideas for some wanikani statistics. (Average Reviews, Vocabulary learned per week, etc.).

If you have some more suggestions or feature requests, don’t think about not posting them.
Don’t forget: The project is https://github.com/WaniKani/OS-X-Notification on Github, if someone wants to develop with me, please join! (The 1.1 is in the dev branch)

EDIT: Oh and of course you can set the “Remind me again after a Notification” to NEVER!!11

Noha said... I am working on WaniKani Notifier 1.1 with a new way of checking for new Reviews (I defeated the NSDate UTC Monster!) and some additional Options. 
I have also added some cool new indicator bars (I don't know why, yet :P). I have some ideas for some wanikani statistics. (Average Reviews, Vocabulary learned per week, etc.).
 You complete me.

The repo has been moved to https://github.com/WaniKani/OS-X-Notification

Congrats on being the first community project under the WaniKani organization. 

People, feel free to fork and do pull requests.

Best idea ever. And that notification is the best xD

Really useful. Thanks for the notifier.
Now, it’s review time. :slight_smile:

This is all so interesting!! I appreciate your time spent on creating this greatness for Mac.
I will add that to my menu bar and treat it well.

Thanks Noha!

I’ll have a look at it tonight, when I get home …
I wonder what the allicrab/crabigator logo will look like on my macbook …

@Noha: I like your previous-wanikani-design avatar. For some odd reason, that little red-cheeked guy always looks happy. I’ve noticed a few other people managed to keep it too :slight_smile:

This is great, thank you! It would, however, be awesome to change the review notification sound to something… erm… uh… less dramatic?

WaniKani OS X Notifier Version 1.1 is here! Check it out: http://cl.ly/LYBQ

Changelog:
*Added new Tab Preference Menu
*Added new API Checking Routine
*Added Advanced User Settings
*Added User Tab with some User Information (more will come soon!)
*Added some more Awesomeness.

Next big thing: iOS Notifier. More infos soon…

Looking forward to using this. Thank you!!

Awww yeah, time to turn it back on again. Thanks for the updates!!! :smiley:

I hope the routine for the “Don’t notify me again” setting is alright. I don’t know how often the reviews get larger on higher level. In this Version I’m only caching the previous amount of reviews and if they change I send a new alert. I thought about only sending a new alert when they get smaller again. But that could lead to some skip of notifications, because sometimes we get a bunch of reviews at the same time. 

If it’s still annoying please inform me!

one for windows users?? :slight_smile:

BTW, I updated to Mountain Lion pretty much exclusively for this. Thanks a bunch, Noha!

maria said... one for windows users?? :)

I'm sorry but I don't have any experience in windows programming.

hashi said... BTW, I updated to Mountain Lion pretty much exclusively for this. Thanks a bunch, Noha!
:O Awesome! 
maria said... one for windows users?? :)

Programming for Windows often requires entering the world of the occult. Scary business.

Just noticed the sketchy image you have in the credits folder :stuck_out_tongue:

naww! but windows is awesome :) 

I have Mac OS  X 10.7.5 and I can’t update to Mountain Lion. Are there other apps like this or is it possible to make a version for Lion ? Sorry if this sounds stupid, former Windows user and I really don’t have a lot of Mac knowledge.

Kokoro said... I have Mac OS  X 10.7.5 and I can't update to Mountain Lion. Are there other apps like this or is it possible to make a version for Lion ? Sorry if this sounds stupid, former Windows user and I really don't have a lot of Mac knowledge.
 First of all: never think you sound/are stupid!  It's good to ask questions if you don't know something :-)

I think I've read somewhere before this app uses the notification center which wasn't in osx 10.7.5 ... Perhaps if someone used an other way of notifying ... No idea how to do that though ...

Is there a reason you can't updated to Mountain Lion? Doesn't your computer support it? That could be indeed the case ... a friend of my had to do a total reinstall (all software) in order to being able to use mountain Lion (her computer was 'old').

Oh and I forgot to mention it, but I totally love this wanikani notifier! Sometimes it's a bit embarrasing though ... when you're watching a movie with friends, when suddenly the tune rings in the middle of it. "Review time!" ^^ At least I know have an excuse, why I'm always doing reviews ... hehe