WaniKani Mobile - [End of Support]

Well, it was easier than expected, and the next release will have this feature (now that I'm using it, I can't do without it :) Check the menu because it is disabled by default.
Besides, did you have a chance to try the experimental builds? Maybe the custom IME fixes the odd problem you reported...

EDIT:  Just uploaded the last APK, which is now the release candidate. I'm positive I've signed the right way :) And it implements full screen:
                https://www.dropbox.com/s/0x2f0j35y4k02ue/WaniKaniMobile-1.6.0rc0.apk
Thanks for the fixes! As to the problems I reported earlier, the phone I had at the time was an endless source of frustration so I returned it. WK always worked fine on my old phone and still does, so that's what I'm using for now.
Satoshi said... Just installed the new RC and it works great. Thanks for the app! 
Consider adding the option to automatically move to next item when the answer is correct.  Like this: /t/WaniKani-Improve-222-—-faster-and-smarter-reviews/2858/1
Thanks to @Seiji's kind permission, here's a beta APK that has (among some other stuff) also this feature:
       https://www.dropbox.com/s/1281heomfivvasw/WaniKaniMobile-1.7.0pre0-wki0.apk
Note that it is disabled by default. Let me know what you think about: I'm still unsure whether it's stable enough to release it next week, or not.
s84606 said...Thanks to @Seiji's kind permission, here's a beta APK that has (among some other stuff) also this feature:
       https://www.dropbox.com/s/1281heomfivvasw/WaniKaniMobile-1.7.0pre0-wki0.apk
Note that it is disabled by default. Let me know what you think about: I'm still unsure whether it's stable enough to release it next week, or not.
 Thanks for the update!

I just did around 40 reviews with this turned on and it worked perfectly. I'm using a Galaxy S4 on Android 4.2.2

Hooray! That last update fixed the “swype isn’t inserting spaces between words” and “anything I type with the swype IME keyboard gets called wrong” issues that I never got around to reporting!

If you’re still up for suggestions, I have another one. 

Add the option to put the radicals and kanji in the reviews in the beginning. It can be all radicals and kanji like in this script or just from the current level like in the Wanikani customizer. Whatever you feel is better/easier to implement.

I rarely feel like doing or have the time to do many reviews on my phone but just doing those “level critical” ones would be immensely helpful. 

Satoshi said... If you're still up for suggestions, I have another one. 

Add the option to put the radicals and kanji in the reviews in the beginning. It can be all radicals and kanji like in this script or just from the current level like in the Wanikani customizer. Whatever you feel is better/easier to implement.
Had a look at the scripts: it seems feasible, though I'll schedule this for the release after the next one.
I think I'll choose the first one: it seems easier to integrate and @alucardeck is still active on the forum (I like to receive an explicit permission)

Is anyone else having issues with “compound” kana (e.g. にゅう) getting screwed up in reading reviews? When I try to type something like 「にゅう」 I end up with 「ゅう」 — which, of course, is wrong. I end up using Google Japanese Input to put those in. (The Ignore button has come in handy for that, and for the Chinese/Japanese kanji confusion that I fixed using another app from these forums.)

Other than that, great app so far.

dgw said... Is anyone else having issues with "compound" kana (e.g. にゅう) getting screwed up in reading reviews? When I try to type something like 「にゅう」 I end up with 「ゅう」 — which, of course, is wrong. I end up using Google Japanese Input to put those in. (The Ignore button has come in handy for that, and for the Chinese/Japanese kanji confusion that I fixed using another app from these forums.)
Sigh... my hope was to fix all these issues with the new IME... A few questions:
* Does it always happen?
* Are you using a Swipe keyboard, or any other keyboard that enters text "word by word"? If not, is the "n" displayed initally?
* In the example above, you enter "nyuu"?
Thanks!

s84606 said...Sigh... my hope was to fix all these issues with the new IME... A few questions:
* Does it always happen?
Seems pretty consistent, unfortunately.

* Are you using a Swipe keyboard, or any other keyboard that enters text "word by word"? If not, is the "n" displayed initally?
I use SwiftKey. Initially, I was using the built-in IME, but I had an issue with it, activated the system IME, and haven't been able to figure out how to get the built-in one back. (Tried toggling the checkbox, to no avail.)

Correct. I apparently have no reviews due, so testing character-by-character isn't possible right now. But I can say with no uncertainty that everything is fine until I type that final 'u'; that's when the initial 'に' disappears.
dgw said...
I use SwiftKey. Initially, I was using the built-in IME, but I had an issue with it, activated the system IME, and haven't been able to figure out how to get the built-in one back. (Tried toggling the checkbox, to no avail.)
The new IME became the third input method, so I had to change that specific setting: now it is called "Reviews kbd". I suggest to keep "Custom IME", anyway, because that's the only input method that supports all the "interesting stuff", like Ignore button etc.  The checkbox applies to lessons only.

Correct. I apparently have no reviews due, so testing character-by-character isn't possible right now. But I can say with no uncertainty that everything is fine until I type that final 'u'; that's when the initial 'に' disappears.
I wonder if it's related to autocorrection: does it happen when using other keyboards too? What happens if, keeping the SwiftKey kbd, you enter "nyuu" when WK is asking for a meaning?

s84606 said...
dgw said...
The new IME became the third input method, so I had to change that specific setting: now it is called "Reviews kbd". I suggest to keep "Custom IME", anyway, because that's the only input method that supports all the "interesting stuff", like Ignore button etc.  The checkbox applies to lessons only.
Toggled the "Reviews kbd" setting from "Custom IME" to "Embedded Kbd" and back to "Custom IME"; my next review is in about 22 hours. -.-

I wonder if it's related to autocorrection: does it happen when using other keyboards too? What happens if, keeping the SwiftKey kbd, you enter "nyuu" when WK is asking for a meaning?
I did try it with the stock "Google Keyboard" and had the same problem. SwiftKey appears not to do anything strange if I enter "nyuu" in a non-kana field. It only completes when I hit space, anyway, so the completion functionality shouldn't be involved.

At the very least, I got the sequence of character transformations during my most recent review session:
  • n: n
  • y: ny
  • u: にゅ
  • u: ゅう

dgw said...At the very least, I got the sequence of character transformations during my most recent review session:
  • n: n
  • y: ny
  • u: にゅ
  • u: ゅう
Good to know. This evening I'll build a test APK that prints some state information each time you enter a character. If you can install it temporarily and give me the logs, I'll try to understand what's going on. Thanks!

EDIT: Here is a test APK, which adds a "Log" menu item:
   https://www.dropbox.com/s/iycj45bb51fxesw/WaniKaniMobile-1.7.0pre1-imel0.apk
When you encounter a "Reading" question,  please type "nyuu", and touch the "Log" menu. This way the "next" button displays a message dialog instead of sending the answer to WK (so you risk nothing here). If you could send me the screenshot, I would really appreciate it. After that, you can touch the "Log"  menu again (or simply start over) and the app will behave exactly as if that feature were not there. Thank you again!

I would just like to say thank you for this, the new version finally displays the ~ on my phone so I no longer have to guess the meanings/readings of word enders and pray I chose the right one. :smiley: You are my hero.

Satoshi said...Add the option to put the radicals and kanji in the reviews in the beginning. It can be all radicals and kanji like in this script or just from the current level like in the Wanikani customizer. Whatever you feel is better/easier to implement.

I rarely feel like doing or have the time to do many reviews on my phone but just doing those "level critical" ones would be immensely helpful. 
 ...and this is the APK that integrates the Wanikani Reorder script:
            https://www.dropbox.com/s/axapu3ha6yb0flz/WaniKaniMobile-1.7.0pre1-meters1.apk
This APK also contains a feature that was frequently discussed on this forum: when reviewing you can enable japanese fonts even if you don't have a rooted device (yet the phone must still support japanese localization, otherwise the app won't be able to find the font file).
To do that, touch the "JP fonts" menu: this will switch between default fonts and japanese fonts (and back).
s84606 said...

...and this is the APK that integrates the Wanikani Reorder script:
            https://www.dropbox.com/s/axapu3ha6yb0flz/WaniKaniMobile-1.7.0pre1-meters1.apk
This APK also contains a feature that was frequently discussed on this forum: when reviewing you can enable japanese fonts even if you don't have a rooted device (yet the phone must still support japanese localization, otherwise the app won't be able to find the font file).
To do that, touch the "JP fonts" menu: this will switch between default fonts and japanese fonts (and back).
 All good changes, especially the reordering makes it more useful. I find it hard to do reviews effectively without the reorder.

You may want to include the IPAGothic font optionally (if possible, since IDK how this works) for the same reason people requested it on my Kanji Fix app... the default font in 4.1-4.3+ does seem a bit "cartoony". I can't speak for the earlier fonts. The only big drawback is that the font is 5MB in size.
Ascend said...You may want to include the IPAGothic font optionally (if possible, since IDK how this works) for the same reason people requested it on my Kanji Fix app... the default font in 4.1-4.3+ does seem a bit "cartoony". I can't speak for the earlier fonts. The only big drawback is that the font is 5MB in size.
Yes, I agree. In fact in a future release I think I'll give the possibility to download the font from a user supplied URL, so users can choose the font they like (even a font that does not permit redistribution). 
s84606 said...Yes, I agree. In fact in a future release I think I'll give the possibility to download the font from a user supplied URL, so users can choose the font they like (even a font that does not permit redistribution). 
 Thanks for the update, I tested it and it works though I noticed the Wanikani override script has a bug. 
Every time I minimize the app via the central physical button of my Galaxy S4 and return to the app an extra button appears + the text from the script also.
It's like the script elements are re-added every time.

Here's a screenshot after minimizing and reopening several times:

Steps to reproduce:
1. Start reviews
2. Minimize app
3. Reopen app

Here are some things that should probably be fixed:

This is on the Stats page and “Other”.

As you can see the “N5”, “N4” etc. get cut off on the bottom, and the numbers on the x axis of the graph overlap - this happens on other graphs as well.

Hello,

I tried the custom IME, is the input field only supposed to be half the height of the regular input filed it is covering?

Satoshi said... Thanks for the update, I tested it and it works though I noticed the Wanikani override script has a bug. 
Every time I minimize the app via the central physical button of my Galaxy S4 and return to the app an extra button appears + the text from the script also.
It's like the script elements are re-added every time.

Here's a screenshot after minimizing and reopening several times:

Steps to reproduce:
1. Start reviews
2. Minimize app
3. Reopen app

I’m experiencing this behavior as well, though without the “rad” “kan” “voc” text. I’ve got the override script and the improve script on but not the reorder script. At the moment I’m on a Nexus7 and it happens whether I minimize using the home key or the app switch key, or if I sleep and wake the tablet with the power button.

Hi @Satoshi  and @yasmatazz, here’s an APK that should fix the problems you encountered. Thanks for reporting!
       https://www.dropbox.com/s/99zef3pf84pc73a/WaniKaniMobile-1.7.0pre1-meters2.apk
Another thing I find quite disturbing is that, in Satoshi’s screenshots, progress bars for Joyo an JLPT are not visible: does it happen also with this APK?

CuZnDragon said…I tried the custom IME, is the input field only supposed to be half the height of the regular input filed it is covering?

It may happen, though not it’s not usual: the height of the IME is the preferred height of an android edit text, while the HTML input field size is defined by CSS. Making them match, usually, is worse than keeping them of their “natural” size (I’ve checked). Is the result so ugly on your device?