Wanikani is just not useful enough, but could be

Did the likes give it away?

About duolingo, I don’t remember where, but there’s a pretty decent conversation about the pros and cons on this forum. My opinion is that it’s pretty decent for Latin languages, and some relatives had various degrees of success trying to learn French, but the Japanese version really felt meh.

I’ve tried Anki and found it too cumbersome/that it required too much setup and self-management. I need books with clear lesson/chapter structures or a heavily managed SRS like Wanikani.

That said, I do currently have a 26-plus-page Word document of notes (grammar, vocab, and conversational constructions) from other study material that I should probably just pop into Anki to make flashcards out of at some point.

I could smell you

I can totally relate to you! I started using wanikani in conjunction with Japanese language classes (while living in Japan). While the course itself was a joke, wanikani allowed me to better memorize vocabulary which allowed me to focus on grammar. Seriously, with each level I am able to read new signs (street signs, ads, random notices), and overall Japan has become more exciting for me. I had also reset a while ago due to work related reasons keeping me from accessing WaniKani regularly (though now thinking, wish I hadn’t). Hope you return then progress to the finish!

I do agree that ANKI takes a while to get into.
I needed a literal walkthrough to get started.

That being said, this deck is pretty awesome and works almost out of the box.

I’m… glad?

And of course Borx liked it.

I hear there’s a guy named @hinekidori that has made some WaniKani style Anki decks for vocabulary.

Thanks for the starter deck. Yeah, I just remember it being really cumbersome and unintuitive. I have no problem with physical flashcards, but for some reason doing that much work on a program was off-putting.

I’ve started iKnow this afternoon and am wondering why I wasn’t aware of it earlier. It’s fantastic. Like the vocabulary-based Wanikani I’d wanted, plus good built-in listening practice. Their placement test seems to have put me at the right spot too, where I have just enough of a foothold with other vocabulary and kanji to be able to quickly get the new words its giving me.

EDIT – Wait, I do notice it seems to be giving me predominantly N2 words. I’m still studying for N3 and am wondering if I should adjust it.

What level did you start at ?

It put me at upper intermediate. But I should probably drop one down for test prep. (Two down? What’s a good level for N3 vocab reinforcement?)

I think Wanikani and life in Japan gave me too much of a leg up on its placement test.

It’s possible.

I did Iknow a few years back so my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I started while preparing the N3 and my placement was at 2000, and it was about right. May be try 3000 first. If you have time it can be a good review to do 2000 as well.

Realized it put me in the 5000 level after the placement test. No idea how/why it did that. Now that I understand its system better, I picked up the 3000 course instead. It’s about half review right now, but that feels like the right place to start.

I have a fairly low opinion of the Japanese section of Duolingo. Taking the placement test cleared every category for me, and those I know IRL who are attempting to learn Japanese had significantly more trouble on DuoLingo and ultimately switched to other resources like LingoDeer. But seeing as I tested out of DuoLingo’s entire Japanese content, I never actually used it, so my opinion is fairly moot. :rofl:

Yeah, I had something similar - after the placement test, I was left with like three units to learn, and I think that’s only because I made a word order choice in one question that DuoLingo disagreed with.

same! I really hate the strange type of wording Duolingo forces you to use. However as pure revision its decent

Nice!

I used iKnow for one year a few years back. It did help.
It also looks like it improved a lot since then.

About the placement test, I just tried it, and it feels a bit too permissive. Since you get multiple choices, it maybe easier to make an educated guess and get words right. So, indeed, if you want to consolidate your vocab, going a little bit lower might be a good idea.

Yeah, I think I got lucky with the selected questions and was able to make an educated guess on a couple as well. (Should have just said I didn’t know it, but didn’t realize how gentle its placement would be; I figured knowing context and kanji would still land me in the right spot.)

In general, I’m really liking the way the site works so far.

I just want to say, it’s kind of annoying that you made this thread, because I’m learning 里心 right now, and instead of instantly recalling the meaning/reading and moving on, I have a mind virus that says “you’ll never use this”. And it inevitably distracts me from the rest of my reviews. Just be a little more mindful before you go off kvetching.

What’s houhou?

Seriously?