WaniKani Flair

WaniKani Flair

discuss.

Personally I think I would help motivation wise, and reinforce sense of accomplishment.
Also, that’s free advertising for WK for those that decide to use it in emails, etc.

If you don’t know what flair is, take Stack Overflow flair for example: http://stackoverflow.com/users/flair

Using a WK flair in emails? Wut? Why?

I personally don’t care about forums ranks/flairs/what-have-you. Seeing newly learned kanji in the wild is more than enough motivation for me.

What? I’m not sure I even understand what this is getting at, I don’t see how flair is relevant and what emails have to do with anything.

Do we have to have 37 pieces of flair?

(I love that movie…)

^ Ditto. Neat idea though.

What is a “flair”, in this sense?

flair in the sense of aint got none, try n push me
edit: yolo

EtoEto has unlockable achievements. Maybe WK will add the same?

Maybe don’t assume everyone knows what that is?

BreadstickNinja said... EtoEto has unlockable achievements. Maybe WK will add the same?
 Oy vey. 

Remember when Valve had achievements in their games that tended to be varied and interesting? Then everyone else decided they need them too, except they were uncreative and obnoxious? You clicked the mouse 50 times! You finished the tutorial! You saved a game!

Syphus said...
BreadstickNinja said... EtoEto has unlockable achievements. Maybe WK will add the same?
 Oy vey. 

Remember when Valve had achievements in their games that tended to be varied and interesting? Then everyone else decided they need them too, except they were uncreative and obnoxious? You clicked the mouse 50 times! You finished the tutorial! You saved a game!
 Ehh, I think they're fun. I know there's a script that adds some kind of celebration when you level up. Having milestones and taking a minute to recognize when you've passed one helps a lot of people stay motivated. Also, some of the EtoEto ones are really funny.

It’s a cute idea, I don’t see why not. It would take some coding effort I guess but for WK’s sake, it will definitely get some people interested. Because the only other WK advertising I’ve seen is word of mouth

for everyone else: flairs go in your social media profiles or siggys (signatures?) on other forum websites. some people have weight loss flairs or other little apps.

BreadstickNinja said...
Syphus said...
 Oy vey. 

Ehh, I think they're fun. I know there's a script that adds some kind of celebration when you level up. Having milestones and taking a minute to recognize when you've passed one helps a lot of people stay motivated. Also, some of the EtoEto ones are really funny.

I like this one the most:

Half because I think I've only ever done one quiz on EtoEto. I have no idea which story it was for. I also have no idea if there are quizzes for everything and I just have no idea how to access them.

Half the achievements are (that I've hit) are the gimmicky: you've logged in! badge. you've read a page! badge. you filled in your profile! badge. The 8/23/42/88/256/etc read/completed badges are more relevant and useful butt that's about it :-P A lot of them are quite amusingly worded though ;-)

okay, what again is a “flair” now?

Flair (sometimes called a badge) is a link to an image that is made to order by a server somewhere based on information about you.
So let’s imagine what a WaniKani flair might look like…
Certainly it must have your level as the most prominent feature, followed by your user name and sect.
Under that it should probably give an indication of your turtles in some manor. Perhaps the creator of a flair server would be so kind as to offer several variations that users can choose from based on what makes the most sense for their progress.
The possibilities are practically endless.

rfindley said... Do we have to have 37 pieces of flair?

(I love that movie...)
 I third or fourth this. :D

OkumaScott said... Flair (sometimes called a badge) is a link to an image that is made to order by a server somewhere based on information about you.
So let's imagine what a WaniKani flair might look like...
Certainly it must have your level as the most prominent feature, followed by your user name and sect.
Under that it should probably give an indication of your turtles in some manor. Perhaps the creator of a flair server would be so kind as to offer several variations that users can choose from based on what makes the most sense for their progress.
The possibilities are practically endless.

That's just a dynamically generated forum signature from the wanikani API, not the definition of 'flair' I've come to understand.

Kaimera said...  That's just a dynamically generated forum signature from the wanikani API, not the definition of 'flair' I've come to understand.
 My only experience with such things comes from Stackoverflow, and they call it flair.
I apologize for making the assumption that this was a generally understood definition.

Plus "flair" is so much easier to type than "dynamically generated forum signature"  :)