WaniKani Achievements?

I was wondering what people would think about WaniKani offering some type of achievements for completing certain things like 100% on a big review session or getting all your kanji right for your level on the first try. I know that this isn’t the point of the site, we’re here to enhance our knowledge of Kanji and Japanese. At the same time I get excited when I’m close to leveling up and it seems like it would be a fun thing to try, similar to sect titles. Any thoughts?

3 Likes

Maybe like an awesome GIF after 100% or something silly. That would be awesome just thinking about what surprise GIF ill get next. 

Yeah I think so as well, especially if it involved the crabigator in some way.

It would be nice if they offered free months free for something like 3 consecutive sessions with x number of burned items.

Juichiro said... It would be nice if they offered free months free for something like 3 consecutive sessions with x number of burned items.
 I could see a lot of people becoming motivated to burn with that. Though some people might just always check the definition for an item they were about to burn with something like that.
Juichiro said... It would be nice if they offered free months free for something like 3 consecutive sessions with x number of burned items.
 Not going to lie, that sounds like a bad idea, considering how easy it would be to look up those answers. 
derelleelearns said...
 Not going to lie, that sounds like a bad idea, considering how easy it would be to look up those answers. 
 Just for fun seems like a safer option. No profit loss for the crabigator.

Sounds good.

derelleelearns said...
 Locking the kanji/vocab area during reviews would solve that. That and disabling selection (the ability to select items with the cursor) during reviews. Both things are easily doable. Whether they are worth the effort I don't know. It's best to let the hybrid aquatic Kami decide what should be done.
Juichiro said...
derelleelearns said...
 Locking the kanji/vocab area during reviews would solve that. That and disabling selection (the ability to select items with the cursor) during reviews. Both things are easily doable. Whether they are worth the effort I don't know. It's best to let the hybrid aquatic Kami decide what should be done.
 Yeah, I doubt whether it would be that useful in the end, as it is external motivation, and will just get people used to having those things, and then they will want more.
Gravityrainbow said...
Juichiro said...
derelleelearns said...
 Yeah, I doubt whether it would be that useful in the end, as it is external motivation, and will just get people used to having those things, and then they will want more.
 I agree. If an achievement system was in place I think it would be best for fun and bragging rights. Maybe displaying new achievements under your level in forum posts or something like that.
SnowfireXV said...
Gravityrainbow said...
Juichiro said...
derelleelearns said...
 I agree. If an achievement system was in place I think it would be best for fun and bragging rights. Maybe displaying new achievements under your level in forum posts or something like that.
 But in the end, I feel it would just be a distraction and hinder us from actually learning Japanese.....

But I don't mind if it ever gets implemented, I'll just.....become like Abs and destroy everyone around me (just kidding).
derelleelearns said... Maybe like an awesome GIF after 100% or something silly. That would be awesome just thinking about what surprise GIF ill get next. 
 I support this. xD
SnowfireXV said... I was wondering what people would think about WaniKani offering some type of achievements for completing certain things like 100% on a big review session or getting all your kanji right for your level on the first try. I know that this isn't the point of the site, we're here to enhance our knowledge of Kanji and Japanese. At the same time I get excited when I'm close to leveling up and it seems like it would be a fun thing to try, similar to sect titles. Any thoughts?
 Oh hell yeah why not? What is fun is a great way to learn. Just look at those trashy Call of Duty and Battlefield games. They give all their punters an award for practically anything. Games aren't what they used to be. You used to have to EARN badges the hard way! 
What I'm saying is give people achievements to unlock and they'll be on it like flies to a turd.
defaye said...
SnowfireXV said... I was wondering what people would think about WaniKani offering some type of achievements for completing certain things like 100% on a big review session or getting all your kanji right for your level on the first try. I know that this isn't the point of the site, we're here to enhance our knowledge of Kanji and Japanese. At the same time I get excited when I'm close to leveling up and it seems like it would be a fun thing to try, similar to sect titles. Any thoughts?
 Oh hell yeah why not? What is fun is a great way to learn. Just look at those trashy Call of Duty and Battlefield games. They give all their punters an award for practically anything. Games aren't what they used to be. You used to have to EARN badges the hard way! 
What I'm saying is give people achievements to unlock and they'll be on it like flies to a turd.
 I don't think that's a really good idea.......because the competition in those games scares me, and I'm using this site to learn stuff, not get shiny online badges that don't serve any purpose except to make me feel slightly better......

To me it would just be a distraction.
Gravityrainbow said...
defaye said...
 I don't think that's a really good idea.......because the competition in those games scares me, and I'm using this site to learn stuff, not get shiny online badges that don't serve any purpose except to make me feel slightly better......

Neither am I (interested in achievements). I think what really is needed would be an enhancement to the stats shown. Something a bit more in depth and informative. Bit more of a grown up idea eh!
defaye said...
Gravityrainbow said...
defaye said...

Neither am I (interested in achievements). I think what really is needed would be an enhancement to the stats shown. Something a bit more in depth and informative. Bit more of a grown up idea eh!
 A simple GIF that plays after maybe like 150+ reviews wouldn't hurt anyone. It isnt such a bad idea. Its not like we have to wear suits and ties. In fact if you went to textfugu theres some hilarious stuff implanted there. 

It would be pretty awesome to keep a little trophy case on our profiles for awards earned. Although, I guess having our levels on display is a reward on its own.

Faeriedust said...
derelleelearns said... Maybe like an awesome GIF after 100% or something silly. That would be awesome just thinking about what surprise GIF ill get next. 
 I support this. xD
 yup me too, something fun and cute would not be too distracting I think ^^
biku said...
Faeriedust said...
 I support this. xD
 yup me too, something fun and cute would not be too distracting I think ^^
 It would most likely be easy to ignore if people didn't like it. And getting a small achievement might be a nice boost after going through hundreds of reviews.