WaniKani Content Update: June 3, 2019

I like the new male voice. Reminds me of the narrator of some samurai movie :rofl:

1 Like

I feel really good doing more reviews on Wanikani lately. I missed this :heart:

13 Likes

I feel like 水泳 should also be added, especially since this reading of 泳 is not taught at all.

6 Likes

Ah, forget 噛む. 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 used 嚙む, so we should learn that version. :laughing:

4 Likes

I had to go back and search WaniKani for this one because I was so sure it was in there. Sure enough, it turned up no results.

Now I’m racking my brain trying to remember where I even learned it ._.

Probably from the first chapter of 銭天堂? :wink: That’s where I learned it. I also originally thought I had picked it up on Wanikani, heh.

2 Likes

Funnily enough, seeing it there was one of the reasons I thought I learned it from WaniKani, because I already knew it then. Maybe I learned it in class a while back when some of my students learned it the other way around? Makes as much sense as anything else I can think of lol

Can anyone speak to how common it is to see “嬉そう”. That’s how it shows up in the first Context Sentence for 嬉しい.

今日は何だか嬉そうですね。
You look happy today, for some reason.

When I searched, the search engine actually redirected to results for 嬉しそう. The results for the し-less version seemed rather limited.

Just a typo presumably.

The tsu reading comes from the alternative reading of 吐く, which means to breathe. As you can see from that jisho link, it’s usually written in kana (probably to avoid confusion with the much more common reading of haku).

Thus, the most common form of liar is actually 嘘つき.

It’s simply wanikani tendency to teach words in their heaviest kanji form that’s less common. It sounds not very useful, until you start reading older, stiffer, more literally text. But even then, in my experience, it can be somewhat unpredictable when the kanji form is used, you never know when tweets, videogame dialogues, or you exchange student friend will use those alternative or older forms, so it’s good to know both anyways – and not much extra cognitive power to learn anyways, of course!

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Btw, I feel like we should make a thread for these sort of super common words with not-yet-in-wanikani entries. I tried looking around before, and never really found one. It would be nice to have a definitive list, maybe with a few sections in it. It would do alot to streamline all the replies in this thread, give some people a handful of kanji with their vocab to keep in mind, and could give some inspiration to the upcoming updates this year :smile:

I have to shortly, so if someone else would like to, go ahead. Otherwise I’ll probably start one up in the next few days, unless there are objections or I simply overlooked an existing thread (though I’ve really search alot before - and no this is different than those kanji outside of wanikani lists with anki lists etc) - it would be more of a definitive list of kanji and their associated words that you guys specifically have encountered repeated in reading, as well as messaging other japanese people, etc. I think it’d be really useful!

3 Likes

Arigatou gozaimasu!

1 Like

Ooh! Ooh! I need to start listening to the audio again. : D

There used to be a Google sheet everyone could follow a link to and modify… But that was a long time ago.

I believe the proper procedure now is to email hello@wanikani.com (er, the regular email.)

I mean if there was one that people could see and edit…or just a community post or something. Emailing them directly we lose the community benefit…

Try this one: https://www.wanikani.com/vocabulary/喉飴

1 Like

I mean, if you do Core 10k you’ll pretty much cover everything that’s common and it’s not on WK yet.

Leebo also did this, which is a start:

5 Likes

Aww yeah I’ve been meaning to get to that soon…good point. did you it on kitsune, or Anki?

1 Like

Kitsun :ok_hand: Gotta love the layout Hinekidori built :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Alright I’ll check it out then, although not sure if it’s better to start now or wait about a month and a half or so when I’ll be reaching level 60…

How’d you go about it, same speed of wanikani, or faster? Considering you have so much good info for wk on these forums, I was wondering if you have any tips for how to approach it (no I’m not asking for a guide btw haha)…

(e.g. like how many new items per day and what time of days/intervals you found was best, what you found was an effective way to utilize, the order you did it in, etc)

I was initially thinking going about in much the same way as wanikani, but considering it’s 10000, thats alot to cover (in terms of months/years) if approached with normal or even maxed out speed of wanikani pacing…

Say I want to finish by December or so, it’d be 60 new items a day, which is alot more than the amount I’ve done on wanikani (by level 60 it will have been a little under a year and a half for me total), which is about 3 times the amount I’ve been doing each day for WK!