Wanikani Content Sentence Extractor

Does anyone know of an existing script that can use your API to extract all of Wanikani’s content sentences (only the ones up through the material you’ve learned) and place them in something like an excel file?

I rarely pay much attention to them when they are matched with the vocabulary (unless I’m trying to understand the context of how the word is used), but I’m thinking that it might be useful to use. Mainly to increase my vocabulary if I could sort through them and extract unknown words or drop the desired sentences straight into an SRS application (or both!).

i don’t think the api lets you pull context sentences, sorry.

If you just want to work with sentences you can try the sentence Anki deck I posted here → [Some Supplemental Material]

So if we aren’t able to pull the sentences through the API is there any other way to retrieve the sentence data?

Thanks hinekidori, I’ll check those out too.

Scraping would be considered poor form I think.

Ethan said... Scraping would be considered poor form I think.
 Why?  Isn't that exactly why Wanikani allows API pulls? 

hinekidori said... If you just want to work with sentences you can try the sentence Anki deck I posted here → [Some Supplemental Material]

Those are nice.  Thanks for taking the time to put those together.

Well, this doesn’t use any specific sentences from WaniKani (to the best of my knowledge), but it uses the kanji that you learn from WaniKani and it generates sentences for you to read. It acts as a form of reading practice. You can adjust it to whatever level you are in, in WaniKani: http://duendecat.com/

subhuman said...
Ethan said... Scraping would be considered poor form I think.
 Why?  Isn't that exactly why Wanikani allows API pulls? 
I've got to agree here. If Wanikani is a paid service and the sentences are part of that service, I should be able to manipulate them however it makes sense for studying.

Look at all the people making Anki decks out of the vocabulary on a per-level basis. What is to stop someone from sending complete levels of radical, kanji, and vocabulary to all their friends? The only thing you are loosing is the description, which after scrolling around the forums for a little bit it seems as though at least half the people on here don't pay much attention to the descriptions anyway.