WaniKani Content Overhaul Announcement

I use “ecchi” for えき, even if it sounds different it does the job and is pretty memorable.

You don’t have tater tots? :scream:
I’m so sorry. :weary:

3 Likes

I’m feeling some weird anxiety/excitement. The thought of having to forget and relearn things that are etched into my soul makes me uneasy. How could I part with the ol’ mullet? What about my spritual bond with tator tots and Charlie Sheen? And who could forget about the shenanigans of the Klu Klux Klan? (also they owe me $200, wanted to buy 40 gallons of gasoline for some reason they won’t tell me).

All I can do is wish them all peace in the afterlife, and hope their families have life insurance.

Goodbye my cherished friends, you taught me kanji when nobody else could.

3 Likes

We have stuff like Rösti and Potato Croquettes instead. No shortage of delicious potato dishes, though Tater Tots do also look quite nice. :wink:

4 Likes

For some reason I’ve always though of Pop Tarts in the Tater Tot mnemonics, cause I don’t have either and thought of the wrong one first time so it just stuck with me :rofl:
It’s the completely wrong word, but the image has been associated with that word for me now =P

1 Like

Which is mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm so tasty :drooling_face:

4 Likes

Recently, I tend to rely less on the phonetic mnemonics given and use Japanese words instead.

For instance, I will think of 駅 (えき) Station whenever I learn a reading using えき, this tends to work better for me because the readings will always be the same. There’s no confusion between A Key meaning えき or き

6 Likes

I’m also mostly using 駅 since that’s the first word I think of when I hear the reading. I do sometimes struggle to come up with good mnemonics for that though, we’ll see what WK will offer after the change.

1 Like

This is the ultimate way of making mnemonics imo. Sure, it would imply the users knowing the vocab already, but if they’re words from previous levels, it’s a win-win. I can see people memorizing a mnemonic connected with ばか way easier than they would with idiot.

I don’t see this concept being reproducible in all mnemonics, but it would definitely work in quite a lot.

2 Likes

Yes, it only really becomes useful as you learn vocabulary.

There are many, many charachters with a reading of しょ or しょう where my intuition would be make a mnemonic based on the word ‘Show’, the problem is it’s very easy to convert it one way しょ or しょう > ‘Show’ but not see easy to know what ‘Show’ should be as there are two options.

After a while you learn to recognise the phonetic component (whenever it exists) so you don’t really need to rely on this method.

2 Likes

This is actually great to hear! At some point I just completely neglect the mnemonics cause they are too hard to remember or the wording is weird => makes me feel a bit demotivated and this has been my main criticism of wani whenever I talk about the cons of the app. Some radicals or kanjis which have already been taught appear in the new Kanjis but the mnemonics just use a completely different stories, neglecting the learned part. Hope that the new content would be more appealing.

1 Like

We don’t… and we are glad for it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow huh, looks like I joined at the right time!

1 Like

Please see Kristen’s post above:

7 Likes

Rösti are so yummy :yum:!!!

UPDATE: If you reset your account back to level 1 you will no longer be able to access the old mnemonics in your settings!!

I just learned this from the devs, and it will be in the main thread we post in a bit, as well as on the reset page, but if you reset to level 1 the old mnemonics toggle will go away.

11 Likes

Does that mean resetting to level 1 changes your official join date?

Should that be the case though? There are plenty of people who reach a high level and just want to start over without necessarily learning new mnemonics or names for radicals. Seems inconvenient.

1 Like

Reset to level 2? Rumor has it starting from level 1 is too slow anyway.

9 Likes

when u come back to the forums and you’re too wtf’d with the reply you got :rofl:

10 Likes