WaniKani Content Additions: Wednesday November 16 - Wednesday December 7 2022

I’m not attacking anyone, you’re the one that is hostile. I’m merely explaining. To get angry about them making kanji readings more accurate is kind of weird and I don’t get it. Would you rather have them not add them, because it’s more work to go through?

7 Likes

Perhaps I don’t know how WK updates typically function, but do we also get updates about “feature enhancements” and not just content updates?

For example, I would REALLY love to have a natively supported “dark mode” that doesn’t require add-on’s, as I prefer to use my phone and tablet to do my studying. Related - could some of the most popular community add-on’s be rolled into native feature work so folks don’t need to turn to add-on’s at all?

3 Likes

At least, let me remove something.

Personally, I don’t hate about adding new items, be it vocabularies, Kanji or perhaps radicals. It does add some minimal time on review, but if I knew them, they just pass through almost immediately.

In any case, too many, maybe in some ways, but in most other ways, it is more of not enough.

I don’t get a lot of things in life that other people do, yet that’s how the world is.

I don’t think that sharing feedback about a change to a product I pay for is hostile, and I feel no particular need to explain my reasoning to you, in particular not with the tone that you’re using.

But to summarise:

Yes, that’s precisely my point. Or even better: make it optional.

2 Likes

I hope Wanikani would add explanations to reading choices, always if possible.

I see that 一日 now has explanations, but I am not sure of 他所 or 出所, where vocabulary audios are multiple, but (external) context sentence audios prefer only one. (There is no native context Furigana, nor audio, so Wanikani practically makes it more confusing.)

身体 is very specific, and perhaps should be explained. The audio for からだ has been mentioned before – it is already at 体.

Recently, I saw 黄色(おうしょく), and it isn’t allowed in Wanikani at all (not correct). Perhaps it’s on the same level as 身体(しんたい).

4 Likes

Pretty cool update! Thanks!!

2 Likes

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions! I’ve made note. Let me also try to answer the questions that popped up.

You’re adding at least one shorter synonym, I hope? :stuck_out_tongue:

:sweat_smile: Yes! The alternative meaning will be “news”, as in “that’s news to me”, and other variations will be on the allow list.

The new additions should be added to the beginning of the lesson queue, so they’ll be up first in the lesson list once they’re added later today.

Simply to allow the ひき reading time to become established, before throwing in the modified version. :slight_smile:

Yes, we post about new features and feature updates in the Announcements category.

Some of our features (like Extra Study) do just that. :grinning: Hopefully we’ll be able to add more of these sorts of features in future.

I hope that covers everything. Let me know if I missed anything!

11 Likes

more stuff to learn, but also some less stuff for later.

1 Like

For using WK on a phone or tablet with add-ons, you could use the kiwi browser. I am using the android app which allows the use of user-scripts in exactly the same way as you would on a computer. There is also the Flaming Durtles app, which is not extensible but has the features of many popular user-scripts built-in.

3 Likes

OMG!!!
I didn’t read this thread until now. Went on WK for the first time since this morning and saw the pink Crabigator telling me I had new lessons!!!
I’m not joking when I say I was missing it, my heart lost a beat there!

Thank you for all this new useful additions :blush::blush:

17 Likes

I’m glad that @Fryie posted what they did. I don’t totally agree, but I’ll admit that I was disheartened at the prospect of being set back in my progress. When I started my lessons all my items were low-level vocab.

I’m not against adding new material. It’s a “good thing”. And the way it is being done is at least gradual. But for me it’s a motivational thing. It’s discouraging to not be able to learn vocabulary related to the kanji on my current level.

But it is what it is. I’ll deal with it.

3 Likes

No wonder I got so many new lessons today :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

That kinda sounds like the gamification talking, though. Remember the goal here is to learn Japanese, not “finish” WaniKani. (Besides, stuff being added at a lower level doesn’t slow your progress towards the latter anyway.)

17 Likes

Of course it’s the gamification. That’s an important aspect of WaniKani’s success I’m willing to bet. It’s certainly one of the things that appeals to me. It’s not one thing (learning kanji) or the other (fun) - it’s both.

7 Likes

These are pretty good additions. I have encountered quite a few of these already.

4 Likes

Nostalgic to finally have new lessons again, nice!

10 Likes

I am not sure if it a problem with the app or the API, but the new additions didn’t appear on the Flaming Durtles app.

So I went ahead and did the reviews on the website, but the scheduled reviews for those new items aren’t scheduled to appear on he app either.

1 Like

Mine showed up in Flaming Durtles (which is what brought me to this thread), so I don’t think it’s the app. Have you tried going to the menu and manually hitting Sync Now?

6 Likes

Thanks for the feedback

Yeah, I manually hit sync multiple times, nut to no avail. I wonder if I should renew the API token and see if that helps.

1 Like

I would like to voice the opinion that the content additions have been amazing, and that items like 心強い and similar additions especially reinforce the variablility of a given kanji’s potenital sounds.

When people say that they’re disheartened that they will be set back in their reviews, or that “it’s only rendaku”-- I can’t help but feel they’re missing the forest for the trees. If reviews are a concern, I think that this can be solved in the short-term by filling out its meaning just a few times, (or in the long run,) manage their kanji practice so that their learning progress is better paced and fits into the concept of a managed SRS pace.(Also, regarding rendaku, it’s not exactly always intuitively found in readings-- I’m glad to see a variety of contexts in which it is/isn’t used.)

I can’t help but be reminded by the comments and threads of regret made by posters that tested the SRS to its fastest completion allowed by WK. It was enough to definitely change my study habits, and I found myself better retaining Kanji and potentital readings moreso than my peers from university who min-maxed gamification and tested the limits of their mental faculties instead of trying to truly comprehend the fluidity of kanji/vocab you’ll see IRL.

I greatly hope for more content additons like these as they’ve helped me in my personal and professional life in Japan.

Sidenote: I have taken multiple breaks from WK that have left me at hundreds, (or more recently @ 1000+) of reviews, and even at those points, I am especially glad that WK offers multiple readings that allowed me to comprehend a clearer picture of how a Kanji character can be read. Even though WK isn’t aimed especially at vocabularly, it certainly helped my ability to parse and comprehend Japanese. Even if you find yourself staving off a hundred items at a time, I can’t help but feel this will naturally sort itself out and allow you to identify where you are making errors where your brain assumes you’re fine…

10 Likes