WaniKani Content Additions: Ongoing from April 29, 2021

That’s the vocab you’re going with for 駿? Not 宮崎駿? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Ah okay that’s true. I often just blank out that there can be Chinese included for words without okurigana

1 Like

With the parentheses included in the Google search (does indeed not seem too common though):

“借款を” = 209,000 results
“借款で” = 102,000 results
“借款は” = 70,100 results
“借款の” = 68,400 results
“借款が” = 57,500 results
“借款と” = 23,300 results
“借款に” = 13,300 results
“借款も” = 13,200 results

Same as above but with 定款:

“定款の” = 1,770,000 results
“定款に” = 914,000 results
“定款を” = 497,000 results
“定款で” = 384,000 results
“定款は” = 203,000 results
“定款と” = 121,000 results
“定款が” = 72,000 results
“定款も” = 23,900 results

4 Likes

款待する? 2m+ results.

漣々? 3m+ results.

5 Likes

Me almost being done with burning everything apart from these recent updates

No but just kidding, I love the new updates :blush:

4 Likes

There was no kanji removed in the most recent update, only vocab.

Yomichan with InnocentCorpus gives frequency 92 for both words, which is very low (though not obscure). This means that in the corpus of 5000+ novels, they only occur 92 times. They seem like words that are even rarer outside of books. (For reference, 日本語 is at 10,000, とろ火 = low flame is at 72, and 私 at 950,000. I personally consider anything below 100 rather rare, above 1,000 common, above 10,000 very common. Though frequency ~50-100 can still be worthwhile, just not a priority)

I really recommend using a frequency source like this. Google results are problematic, as plantron said, you can also get chinese results by googling sometimes, and just dictionary pages. Actually i’m not sure how valid google results are as a metric, but they’re definitely not clean.
(you could also take other sources like twitter posts or movies or wikipedia, by the way)

Frequency 108 in InnocentCorpus, again very low, though not obscure.

No frequency in the InnocentCorpus at all. Either a mistake, or very rare.
But an alternative form of this, れんれん, has frequency 7, extremely low.
Maybe the google results are mostly tweets by/at twitter user 漣々 (@renrenillust) :wink: (choosing a rare word as a username is pretty neat, right?)

Yup, this has frequency 10734, so if i had to choose, i’d definitely put this in instead of the words above.

I just made a script that inserts these frequencies into your Anki cards, that’s why i like this topic currently :wink:

5 Likes

No both 漣 and 款 are listed as going to be removed in futute updates (the 30th and 23rd, respectively).

4 Likes

… I think what you get up to in your own time is not really our business.

1 Like

Ah, i see, first post. Not sure if a kanji has been removed before. But same principle as with vocab i guess, remove rarer items, put in more common items. I’ll put those in my Anki deck.
Also, it says “Hiding” for the kanji, not removing, which i guess means you can still review them if you already learned them or something?

No, at least for us that means removed from wk.
The item won’t be reviewable and if already burned, will disappear from the count.

4 Likes

@TofuguJenny Just a slight content discrepancy I noticed (hope it’s okay to post this sorta stuff here):

From 追随’s page: image

From 追悼’s page: image

The latter being the wrong one of course, since we learn that reading for 追 two levels prior :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

7 Likes

Perhaps it’s a comment on your memory rather than what WaniKani teaches. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

@TofuguJenny The reading mnemonic for 股 (vocab item) uses 又, that probably won’t work anymore for newer users who joined after the 又 move :smiley:

Also since you’ve been hiding a few vocab items recently, I feel like either 裏切る or 裏切り might be a good candidate, learning both separately feels a bit redundant :grimacing:

4 Likes

I’m excited to have learnt a level 51 kanji (又), if a bit disappointed to have a vocab I have learnt (里心) hidden.

What I am wondering is if I have missed a change to the vocab 先 to de-emphasise the “previous” meaning in favour of “tip” etc? It just came up in an enlightened review, and I was thrown when I checked the other meanings.

Thanks for the feedback on the kanji we’re planning to hide. This is a tentative list and we’ll continue to look into it. These kanji and vocab are very uncommon, but perhaps we’ll simply move them all to level 60, rather than hiding them altogether. In the meantime, if anyone can send me a photo of one of them in real life, I’ll be very impressed. :wink:

9 Likes

Very surprised 無くすnot in the vocab list

@jasonyang88 無くす is part of next month’s planned update!

The latter being the wrong one of course, since we learn that reading for 追 two levels prior :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

@Lahoje Thanks for spotting that! We’ll get it changed.

The reading mnemonic for 股 (vocab item) uses 又, that probably won’t work anymore for newer users who joined after the 又 move

@NyappyTiramisu Thanks! We’ll fix this too, and consider hiding either 裏切る or 裏切りas you suggest.

What I am wondering is if I have missed a change to the vocab 先 to de-emphasise the “previous” meaning in favour of “tip” etc?

@OwenDG 先 has indeed changed recently. It was in the July 30 update:

7 Likes

Especially since we also have 裏切り者

5 Likes

I see 定款 at least referenced occasionally in Wikipedia corporation pages as sources like:

And I could have sworn I saw 約款 in the terms of service for 天鳳 but I may be misremembering.

2 Likes

詩 and 詩人 both accept poet and poem even though they are separate
詩歌 accepts poet

1 Like

Moving them to 60 is not a bad idea (although they’re already in the high 50’s). At that point kanji learners will start to delve into the more uncommon kanji anyway.
I realize my view on this hiding is one sided - I’ve already completed the lessons.

2 Likes