WaniKani Automatic Wallpaper for Windows 10

Hi, I tried setting up the wallpaper today, but powershell is throwing this error:

Exception in thread “main” java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: towe/wanikani/wallpaper/Main has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file version 54.0), this version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 52.0

Not quite sure what to make of it. thanks!

It just means that you need to update Java on your computer.

I was about to add this font to Jitai to get it randomized into my reviews when I realized I’ve already got it :rofl:

I still get the error though; am I missing something?

1 Like

I don’t know why Java updater couldn’t handle this so I moved back to an older version of compiler to make sure that the version of Java won’t be an issue any more. You can check out if it works now.

1 Like

Thanks, got around to downloading it today and it works like a dream.

Is it possible to add CLI options for font size, repetition, and positioning? e.g. for us low-level plebs with a handful of kanji (especially when on a 5760x1080 setup), I have like 10 kanji so the text is gigantic, so it’s not quite as colorful as I’d like it. I’d like to be able to have the text start in the top left, be fairly small (like standard 12-14px), and repeat until the end of the image. Just thought I’d ask! If it’s difficult or you don’t have time, I can probably do a pull.

I don’t exactly get what do you want to achieve. Can you maybe share a wallpaper you’re getting right now?

Sure. In this instance, I don’t get to see most of the kanji because of various windows, etc. covering up most of my desktop at any given time. I’m assuming because I have so few kanji atm, and the resolution is so large, it attempts to fill the resolution with my minimal kanji. Ideally, I would like to be able to have roughly the font size from the image in your original post, starting in the top left of the image, and then just have the kanji repeat across the entire image until it gets to the bottom right. This way, put simply, the wallpaper looks more colorful since there will be more text to look at rather than a bunch of black space when my windows cover the majority of the wallpaper. :stuck_out_tongue:

The reason you see so little kanji is because you are on a free subscription right now. When you start paying, the app will be able to retrieve data for all the kanji in WK and the wallpaper will look much better. So I’d rather abstain from adding new parameters for now as it may turn out to not be necessary.

I’m aware of that. I just wanted it to be repeatable presently while my kanji count is low and my resolution is large (per: “e.g. for us low-level plebs with a handful of kanji (especially when on a 5760x1080 setup)”). I’ll go ahead and just make a fork. Thanks.

I must be tired because somehow the idea of repeating kanji didn’t go through :slight_smile: if you can do it yourself then please go ahead, I don’t really have time to work on it now anyway.

Hope you don’t mind, I opened a PR for a feature I was wanting. Thanks for your work on this!

Looks good, thanks!

I researched the topic of setting wallpaper programmatically for just one screen and apparently it’s not that easy. In any case, I wasn’t able to find a comprehensive explanation on how to approach this problem. I wouldn’t like to spend too much time working on this, especially since I don’t even use WaniKani any more, so I think I’ll give it a miss, sorry :slight_smile:

There’s a program on Steam called Wallpaper engine that lets you set unique wallpapers for each screen. I use it mostly for downloaded animated wallpapers, but I believe it lets you set web pages as backgrounds as well.

It isn’t free, but it is fairly cheap at around $5 Canadian.

Thanks for the research. It’s Windows so it obviously couldn’t have been easy. I swear Microsoft is doing this on purpose.

Aaaaand bought!

YO!
I’m super basic when it comes to this stuff.
When I’m trying to change the shortcut destination it’s saying that the path cannot be found when I enter:
C:\Path\To\Correct\Directory\WaniKaniAutoWallpaper.jar -k 9b83…edc7 -f “Font Name” --auto (This is example, have modified my destination with right info)

I feel like I’m missing something basic.
Cheers!

Maybe there’s a mistake in the path you typed after all? When you create a shortcut, it’s best to use the “Browse…” button (or whatever its name is in english) and after it enters the path, just add the rest of the parameters yourself.