Wanikani and Vocabulary

Kaniwani is a very good webpage for vocabulary but its just plain annoying that it can’t be as easily followed as WK

I mean i can see my reviews left of the day in iOS and have an App for wanikani to receive notifications on reviews and see how many reviews i have ahead. i can organize my day to not let em pile up so much and take it as a part of my day plan .All off the apis work great with WK. But i think the next logic step would be that WK fuses with kaniwani or ends up adding that functionality. Here are my main reasons why kaniwani could be a lot better:

• No app for iOS or android
  • If you are in an advanced level in WK and want to begin with KW you end up with tons of reviews, when varely beginning, also it wont progressively unlock items
  • If it is linked to WK to much then it must be part of it or use its own vocabulary lists and be able to advance at your own rhithym.
  • Too many sinonims, in my opiniin some depuring shall be done.

As for WK i think it could have some more features that i wish.

• Help with vocabulary recall, wk in its home page says it will also help with vocabulary not only kanji.
  • Perhaps conjugating verbs could be integrated.
  • JLPT, goyo, frequency tracking.

Please let me know if you think in right or perhaps im horribly wrong.

There’s a KW thread if you want to speak to the creator. He’s pretty responsive. You do realize it’s just some fellow user doing it for no compensation because he felt like it, and not something WK made, right?

1 Like

Edit: What Leebo said

I do realize that, thats why i think it would be much simpler if an integration between WK and KW would be made. Also i think this features could/shall be part of WK and EtoEto. Anki cards dont help and this SRS that makes you type in WK is awesome and should be extended, thats my opinion. But its in no terms against KW these are intended mainly as suggestions for WK.

Cheers

KW does auto-advance as you level up. The not unlocking all earlier vocab is by design; many users apparently don’t want to use it till they have burned items, and then only use it on those items. Equally, the reason it doesn’t unlock all prior is precisely to avoid massive review queues - you unlock the content you want to review, to suit you.

As for integration; it’s not developed by Tofugu, and unless both the creator and Tofugu come to an agreement, further integration (beyond what the API permits) is never going to happen.

If you do have feature suggestions, feel free to drop by our slack channel or the github page. These forums are by no means the best way to reach me and Subversity. Anyhow:

No app for iOS or android

Not yet, though it is in the cards, once we finish our current work

If you are in an advanced level in WK and want to begin with KW you end up with tons of reviews, when varely beginning, also it wont progressively unlock items

I’m confused by this, if you start at a high level in WK, only your current level is unlocked, and new vocab on KW is unlocked as you unlock it on WK.

If it is linked to WK to much then it must be part of it or use its own vocabulary lists and be able to advance at your own rhithym.

Workin on the rhythm thing, though i’m very confident KW and WK will not merge or become part of one another in any fashion.

Too many sinonims, in my opiniin some depuring shall be done.

Agreed, though there are certainly options to deal with this, (adding synonyms on WK, or hitting the ‘add synonym’ button in KW.

Thanks for using Kaniwani!

Once again this is by no means a feature request for KW. But something that i think needs to be heard and implemented within the WK page. Also i think that the other pages they are hosting could be benefited from this. EtoEto for example makes refrence to anki cards, while the same people developed both, why not implement the same SRS system for vocabulary or other topics?

KW tries to help with this kind of stuff the users have been wanting for quite some time, but to be honest doing a vocabulary review resource based on a kanji app certainly is not the best option.

As for KW i’ve been wondering if some other lists could be used to study vocabulary. For example i’ve been thinking on the same SRS system WK has but based on a vocabulary list. For instance a list of books could be put so you can study the vocabulary of that book and be unlocking by chapter. Genki or Minna no nihongo could be great options, please take in mind that there would be less sinonims and most of the people that use WK study grammar with a book. ( This is a friendly request that i think will help many students, you could select the book you are using and begin drilling through SRS reviews of that book and unlocking items, but i think you wanna stick with the WK api)

Back to the main topic this is not a KW request, its mainly a comment for the WK staff to be taken into future updates. If i made my comments on the KW updates thats because i want the WK people to understand KW is a limited webpage that has weaknesses and staff and it will be great if we begin integrating WK and EtoEto as a whole.

Cheers

I made a couple of Anki decks with this in mind

If you go here you will find a deck of approximately 10,000 words arranged by common usage which include audio and sentences for context.
→ [Complete 10k]

Here is a deck with all the Vocabulary lists used in Genki 1 & 2 organized by chapter.
→ [Genki Complete Vocabulary]

The cards for these decks are set up to act like WaniKani as closely as possible. Perhaps this will suffice until Koichi and company can perfect EtoEto as you hope. Rest assured they are working on it. It just may take a while.

If you would like a view of how the decks work you can watch the example video below -

Hope that helps. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi:
I Have tested the anki deck for Genki and it really works great and does all the synching it’s really awesome what you have done with anki. All the courses i’ve been taking so far have been based on Minna No Nihongo, could you do a similar vocabulary anki deck for Minna No Nihongo? I was thinking in ways to use a pre existing anki deck and modify it so it behaves like WK i dont know if that would be plausible or it has to be made from zero.

Cheers