WaniKani Achievements?

I really like the enhanced stats idea… especially if it can tell me all the kanji I keep confusing :slight_smile:

Juichiro said...
derelleelearns said...
Juichiro said... It would be nice if they offered free months free for something like 3 consecutive sessions with x number of burned items.
 Not going to lie, that sounds like a bad idea, considering how easy it would be to look up those answers. 
 Locking the kanji/vocab area during reviews would solve that. That and disabling selection (the ability to select items with the cursor) during reviews. Both things are easily doable. Whether they are worth the effort I don't know. It's best to let the hybrid aquatic Kami decide what should be done.
 If people want to cheat, let them cheat. Only hurting themselves. Besides, I'd really hate to have it locked....sometimes I come across something I'm going to burn and I can remember the general idea but I might be like, "Wait... was it four seasons or THE four seasons?" and I want to check. I know the answer, I just don't know which answer is deemed worthy by the crabigator. Don't really want to send an item back to guru for something so simple.....

Anyway, it'd be a fun idea.
I miss the happy turtle screen when you get 100% on your reviews... 

I thought about Wanikani having achievements when I saw Codecademy’s website. If you don’t know about Codecademy, it teaches you how to code and rewards students with badges and points on lesson completion, this makes it more like a game than a textbook. They also give badges for “day streaks”, for example, if you use the site 20 days in a row you get a badge for it. I think this could be implemented into Wanikani greatly by adding badges and points too. Heres some example achievements I thought up:

Progression Achievements (Achivements that build on eachother):
The Turtles Have Fallen! - 1st Item Burned
Baby Fire - 10 Items Burned
Mild Fire - 50 items Burned
Blue Flame - 100 items Burned
Scorcher - 500 items Burned
Raging Inferno - 1000 items burned
etc etc…

The Fight Begins: 1st Review Done
Review Crawler : 50 Reviews Done
Review Apprentice: 250 Reviews Done
Review Guru: 1500 Reviews Done
Enlightened Reviewer: 5000 Reviews Done
Review God: 10000+ Reviews

I could probably think up more of these too.

One time Achivements: 
Chattygator: Make a post on the forums. 
World of Pain: Reach Level 11
Deathwish: Reach Level 21
Welcome to Hell: Reach Level 31
???: Reach Level 41
Hardened Warrior: Complete Wanikani

etc etc…

That’s all I can think of for now…

Gravityrainbow said...
defaye said...
SnowfireXV said... I was wondering what people would think about WaniKani offering some type of achievements for completing certain things like 100% on a big review session or getting all your kanji right for your level on the first try. I know that this isn't the point of the site, we're here to enhance our knowledge of Kanji and Japanese. At the same time I get excited when I'm close to leveling up and it seems like it would be a fun thing to try, similar to sect titles. Any thoughts?
 Oh hell yeah why not? What is fun is a great way to learn. Just look at those trashy Call of Duty and Battlefield games. They give all their punters an award for practically anything. Games aren't what they used to be. You used to have to EARN badges the hard way! 
What I'm saying is give people achievements to unlock and they'll be on it like flies to a turd.
 I don't think that's a really good idea.......because the competition in those games scares me, and I'm using this site to learn stuff, not get shiny online badges that don't serve any purpose except to make me feel slightly better......

To me it would just be a distraction.
 That is so strange, I thought you would be totally in for this. 

I know there are quite a few people on here who already try for the 3 honorary things we have available (turtle burner and all that).  So I can see if there were other things like that available it would appeal to them too.  I tend to get a huge sense of satisfaction when I manage to gain a new level, but there is also a tremendous letdown immediately afterwards when I see 42+ lessons to slog through.  Maybe another incentive would be nice - something that celebrated something I accomplished, but didn't also involve the double-edge of being buried under more work.

I just totally thought of how excited my kids get when I offer them shiny gold stars for getting 100% on their homework.  Oh how sad.
Brad said... I thought about Wanikani having achievements when I saw Codecademy's website. If you don't know about Codecademy, it teaches you how to code and rewards students with badges and points on lesson completion, this makes it more like a game than a textbook. They also give badges for "day streaks", for example, if you use the site 20 days in a row you get a badge for it. I think this could be implemented into Wanikani greatly by adding badges and points too. Heres some example achievements I thought up:

Progression Achievements (Achivements that build on eachother):
The Turtles Have Fallen! - 1st Item Burned
Baby Fire - 10 Items Burned
Mild Fire - 50 items Burned
Blue Flame - 100 items Burned
Scorcher - 500 items Burned
Raging Inferno - 1000 items burned
etc etc...

The Fight Begins: 1st Review Done
Review Crawler : 50 Reviews Done
Review Apprentice: 250 Reviews Done
Review Guru: 1500 Reviews Done
Enlightened Reviewer: 5000 Reviews Done
Review God: 10000+ Reviews

I could probably think up more of these too.

One time Achivements: 
Chattygator: Make a post on the forums. 
World of Pain: Reach Level 11
Deathwish: Reach Level 21
Welcome to Hell: Reach Level 31
?????: Reach Level 41
Hardened Warrior: Complete Wanikani

etc etc..

That's all I can think of for now..

I love these Brad, well done!

I just want falling sakura petals, fireworks, and the Crabigator saying “Good Job!” whenever I advance a level. Or really, anything to celebrate advancing a level. 42+ lessons is lovely, but it doesn’t really add to the ‘yessss!’ feeling…

derelleelearns said... Maybe like an awesome GIF after 100% or something silly. That would be awesome just thinking about what surprise GIF ill get next. 
Apparently there used to be a gif of the turtles having a bonfire/party of some sort. :-(

As someone who always posts in the level up threads and posted my first Enlightened rad, kanji and vocab, I would have no aversion to badges, as long as they were nicely hidden and not toooo many. I would actually prefer the better stats idea, though, but badges wouldn't be a bad thing imo.
Darcinon said... I just want falling sakura petals, fireworks, and the Crabigator saying "Good Job!" whenever I advance a level. Or really, anything to celebrate advancing a level. 42+ lessons is lovely, but it doesn't really add to the 'yessss!' feeling...
Lol! Indeed...

Achievements would be perfect. It’s always motivating when you see that you’re half way towards completing some hilariously named achievement.

Here ya go!

/t/userscript-Level-Up-Celebrator/4894/1

Achievement unlocked: Burned your first item! 

Burned your 10th item!
Burned your 100th item! Mister smarty pants
Burned your 500th item! 
Burned your 1000th item! WOAH
Burned your 5000th item! You’re almost done!

Achievement unlocked: You are the 1%. 
Description: you have an item that has a correct answer rate of, or below 10%