WaniKani accepted my "wrong" answer for 当たる

As you can see, there is no “to guess correctly” meaning, but WaniKani accepted it for some reason. Was this meaning removed and “hidden”?

1 Like

You may be shocked to learn that WaniKani does not include all the definitions for each word. Like most languages, some have many meanings (some completely contradictory) depending on how they are used. For example, here are the definitions for 当たる on Jisho:

1. to be hit; to strike​

2. to touch; to be in contact; to be affixed​

3. to be equivalent to; to be applicable; to apply to​

4. to be right on the money (of a prediction, criticism, etc.)​

5. to be selected (in a lottery, etc.); to win​

6. to be successful; to go well; to be a hit​

7. to face; to confront​

8. to lie (in the direction of)​

9. to undertake; to be assigned​

10. to be stricken (by food poisoning, heat, etc.); to be afflicted​

11. to be called on (e.g. by a teacher)​

12. to treat (esp. harshly); to lash out at​

13. to be unnecessary​ as 〜するには当たらない, etc.

14. to be hitting well; to be on a hitting streak​ Baseball term, usu. as 当たっている

15. to feel a bite (in fishing)​

16. (of fruit, etc.) to be bruised; to spoil​

17. to feel (something) out; to probe into; to check (i.e. by comparison)​

18. to shave​

19. to be a relative of a person; to be a … in relation to …; to stand in a relationship​as 〜の〜に当たる

As you can see, number 4 would seem to include your answer of “guess correctly”, so it’s not technically wrong.

3 Likes

Most likely hidden. At least your answer should be correct, even if it is not visibly listed in meanings/synonyms :slight_smile:

Interesting… I thought that WaniKani lists all the meanings that it would accept.

It seems like this was a recent change (17 days ago).

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I thought happened.

They have long had a whitelist, where they can put acceptable answers without making the meaning list miles long.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.