Vocabulary meanings

I’m surprised that “one lap” is not accepted for 一周
Even in the example sentences provided the meaning is one lap / one turn.
Instead, the expected answer is “one time around,” which I am not sure is a common use for 一周
Anyway, this is the first time I felt like using the add synonym function on WK. Edit: Do you add synonyms to vocab/kanji very often?

4 Likes

@Mods sounds like another one for the allow list

2 Likes

i add synonyms quite regularly. not a lot, mostly in cases like this, where my mind springs to one possible meaning of a word, but for some reason that’s not on the allow list.

3 Likes

I do and “one lap” is one of my synonyms.

2 Likes

Isn’t a ‘lap’ essentially defined as ‘one time around’ a course?

1 Like

I’m not against “one time around.” But “one lap” is a reasonable meaning, too, if not better.

1 Like

Not disagreeing, it’s probably a great synonym to add if it works for you, it just felt like you were stating that ‘lap’ and ‘one time around’ were essentially not equivalent. If not, that’s my bad on misreading. :slight_smile:

1 Like

4 Likes

Another one for the list. 一例 does not accept the answer “one example.” Acceptable answers are “example” or “instance.” Again, all the context sentences are translated as one example/an example.

Hey, like others suggested, I would definitely make use of the user synonyms feature we have. We don’t list all possible synonyms for every item, but for popular ones we do add them to our allow list.

2 Likes