Vocab Help

So jukugo words have been coming up a ton, and I don’t exactly know how to tell when it is and when it is one and when it isn’t. Also, rendaku is another thing I don’t quite understand. It’d be nice to be able to determine when something is a jukugo word and when there are rendakus during my review time that way I’m able to remember what the word is easier.

This doesn’t answer my question, that’s answering something else.

There aren’t any hard-and-fast rules for these things. There are some patterns for rendaku, but not all patterns hold all the time. Sometimes the same kana pair will be randaku’d, other times not.

Jukugo are usually indicated by a lack of okurigana - in other words kanji-only words. Okurigana is the word for the kana attached to a kanji. As the other thread shows, there are jukugo that end up using kun’yomi instead of on’yomi. But on average, if a word is kanji-only without any other kana attached, it’s a jukugo word that’s likely to take on’yomi.

About rendaku:

4 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

A jukugo is just a compound word. Compounds formed by combining multiple words or multiple kanji both get called jukugo. But visually it should usually be plainly obvious what’s a jukugo and what’s not.

I guess when a jukugo is written with all kana, it could be a little tougher for a beginner to tell if it is one or not.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.