Help with Jukugo

Hey everyone,

I don’t want to be seen as lazy, as anyone in this day and age is capable of googling a question, but I’ve seen the explanation for the reading of a kanji with “the Jukugo-pattern” so often, yet I actually just have no idea what it means and how it works.

I know it somehow works by indicating if you use onyomi or kunyomi, but I have no idea how to use and apply it and I’m scared it will bite me in the long run.

Could you please explain the general gist of it or lead me to some more resources that could explain it??

Ty for your effort,

Alan

Edit: saw @Danmonkey replying so I figured I’d just post the link and let the senpai explain.

To the best of my knowledge, a jukugo word is a compound word consisting of kanji without hiragana attached. Generally speaking, they use the on’yomi reading.

Looking into it asap^^

Like Dan said…the only note that I would make is that that rule about on’yomi gets broken a decent amount of the time…jukugo words can also have kun’yomi readings or a mixture of kun and on…

Some examples below…

Jukugo

小民
民族
少年

Not Jukugo

青い
粗い
チズ

I could have sworn WK gave a brief description in one of the early vocabs, but at least there’s this: compound words

I did a very brief search and found this too: "Both kanji in this jukugo (combo kanji) use the on’yomi readings that you’ve already learned! "

To be fair, that’s easy to miss.

That’s true, I feel like there’s at least a few more examples of things that are thrown in there, that are easy to miss and are only mentioned once, but extremely helpful. For example, I know somewhere, there’s at least a mention about how certain radicals can affect the onyomi reading of the kanji (this is the first one comes to mind, though there are many others), but I didn’t look that hard and I’ve never been able to find it again.