Verbs and grammar

Ok, so I’m becoming more and more confused by the verb vocabs the further i progress - and I’m looking for some understanding in how to better determine the verbs that Wanikani constantly throws at me.

So what is the issue? Well the variants with the same stem with different meaning due their endings.

As far as I can think of now, there are at least 3 different “types” of translations into English:
To be verb (直る)
To verb (上がる) (直す)
To verb something (上げる) (直す)
(To be able to verb)

I’m a logical person and I’m trying to find a pattern between different words and combinations (their endings) but haven’t been able to see any so far. I just started to compile a list the verbs that I struggle with - in the hopes of increasing my answer accuracy and study rate. At this stage it’s too early to draw any conclusions.

Is there any reading materials that efficiently handles this? If someone has a dense list that can be memorized, that would be golden!

/Q

1 Like

That’s mostly a problem with English being imprecise. There are two types of verbs in Japanese (in the sense you’re asking about): transitive and intransitive.

I wrote up an explanation for how to tell the difference here. There are cases where these rules don’t apply and you just have to memorize them, but when they fall into these groups the rules always work.

3 Likes

i think this tofugu guide tackles your question.

there are some patterns that you can sometimes guess( osu/oru. eru/aru) but in the long run, you just gonna have to remember verbs in pairs.

Thanks, I’ll keep this in mind! I’ll try to read up exactly what the definition for each case is. I remember having seen WK informing me on the intransitive part, didn’t really pay much attention to it though!

Will do it more from now on! Thanks again!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.